CHAPTER 1 - "The Mysterious Guy"

A/N -

Hey guys. Thank you so much for taking out some of your precious time to read my story. Hope you like it. Do let me know what you think of it by commenting. Constructive criticism is always appreciated. 

Enjoy?
.

.

.

I finally shut my laptop after sending a painfully long email to my dad, describing how I had spent the last few days of summer with Kate, lazing around and relishing it to the fullest.

Since he was a professor, he was in India, teaching ancient History. He was usually busy and we talked, but not quite often. It was easier to keep in touch via emails. We would also Skype once in a while. 

It had been only a little over a year since he'd taken up the job. Mom and I missed him a lot since we were a very close bound family, but we kept each other busy.

It was almost noon, the usual time around which Kate and I would meet up to kill a couple of hours. We had known each other since play school and were practically inseparable. Although she was very different from me.

She was studious and a straight 'A' grade student; while I, on the other hand was average. She was mostly shy and reserved towards people she didn't know and took time to open up to them. But not me. 

Our appearances were nowhere close to being similar either. While she had long straight auburn hair which complimented her fair skin very well, I had shoulder length brown wavy hair.

There was a ping on my phone, and as expected it was from Kate.

~Pick out a few movies to watch, we'll hit the mall later. Some last minute shopping left to do. Be there in ten xxx~

I smiled a little knowingly, what her 'last minute shopping' meant. It could be nothing but stationery shopping for senior year. She was a hoarder. As promised, she was home in less than ten minutes and barged straight into my room.

I had picked a few movies and we zeroed it down to Pitch Perfect 2 and The Terminal.
While watching the movie, Mom treated us with two batches of her scrumptious double chocolate chip cookies. God I loved her!
When we got done with both the movies, Kate turned around to look at me.

She had a serious look on her face. Yes, I knew this look. It was her 'There's something serious that we need to talk about', look.

"Can you believe the fact that, in less that a few hours, we're going to be official senior year students? There's going to be so much more studying to do!" , she frowned.

I laughed at her exclamation because the big deal about high school to her, were fatter books and hectic classes, and not plain high school drama. I was not a keen enthusiast either, and maybe that's why we were so close after all.

I'd rather have a bookworm for a best friend than a girl crying over her chipped manicure and delayed period.

"Hah! I bet you Kate!", I said with a wink, to which she stuck her tongue out at me.

"I think we should be on our way to the mall now. After shopping, we can grab a bite at 'Ching Shua', I've been craving Chinese", I pouted.

"Aria, you've been craving Chinese the entire summer. I'm surprised at how you've not bloated up."

I could clearly sense the hint of mockery and envy in her voice. I was surprised at how she envied my body, because she was a swimmer and was lean, while I had my curves in the right place.

Although for one thing, I could eat like it was my last meal and never put on weight.

~

After Kate bought her stationery, as I'd suspected, which looked like it ate up an entire months pocket money and I bought myself a pair of black basic converse, we were done with our 'last minute shopping'.