Chapter 1

I find it impressive how some people can set the morning alarm clock and get out of bed as soon as it rings early in the morning. I guess it's a matter of a habit, you know, people who wake up like that every single day get used to it and at first it's hard but later it just gets easy without you noticing, blah blah. I don't have that habit and the thought that I have one more year before college starts and after that I'll probably get a job that will require me waking up before 6 A.M. completely terrifies me.

My morning breath followed by my mother made me get out of my warm soft bed and get dressed for another year of homework, assignments, quizzes and whatever intimidating ideas our teachers had to make us hate school even more.

I walked downstairs to the kitchen where my mom was eating breakfast and my dad slowly sipping on his hot black coffee while scrolling through something on his phone. "Good morning, sweetie. Have some toast and I made you coffee." My mother told me with a big smile that surprisingly made my day a little more bearable. "Thanks mom! It looks really good but I don't have time to eat it now because I'll miss the bus..." 

I poured the hot coffee in a small bottle I always carried with me wherever I went. "And you know how that goes..." I said and took a deep breath like I was disappointed. "You'll miss the bus?" My dad looked at the kitchen clock. "You have 20 more minutes." He said and looked back at me.

 "No I don't! They said that it will come 10 minutes earlier today because it's the first day of school." I muttered my words trying to make stuff up just so one of them can drive me to school. "Why?" My dad asked looking at me like he was on to my lies. "Well they think that students should come to school earlier because," I sounded angry now "I don't know what reason! They want to just throw us in school like were some rats!" I slammed my hand on the glass kitchen table and I saw my mothers eyes close like I scared her. "It's disgusting!" I pointed my finger at my dad. "They think that we are robots and they are training us to be ready for the apocalypse!" He looked confused and shocked and terrified at the same time. "That doesn't even make any sense." He said with his voice sounding tired and already fed up with me. "That!" I raised my hands like my soul was going to reconnect to God and I will be lifted to heaven, if one believed so, as I did. "Doesn't even make any sense." I closed my eyes and placed my hands over my face.

Acting and talking complete nonsense was something I learned when I was just a little innocent girl. You see, if you tell your parents a bunch of things that may or may not happen or did or did not happen you will 'bomb' them with unnecessary information and they will, probably just to shut you up, tell you yes or agree with you or in a small number of occasions say no. At least it worked on my parents and this was one of them. "I'll drive you to school." My mom finally said it and I smiled at her and sat down to eat my breakfast.

"Why don't I have my own car?" I looked at my mom driving and muttering the words of You're unbelievable by EMF. "You know we don't have the money to buy you your own car." I closed my eyes while resting my head on the car window. "Dad apparently does." I said referring to the fact he always goes on 'business' trips that we have to pay for and not his company. "Well why don't you get your own job and then earn the money needed by yourself?" I opened my eyes and turned my head so my cheek was pressed on the cold window. The air from my nose made the window blur and I drew a small smile on it. "Great, I'll be able to tell my friends that my 18th birthday present from my parents was a car I bought myself." I closed my eyes again and wondered if I was asking too much from them, considering the fact they didn't get me anything for the past three years because 'they are saving the money to buy me a car'. She didn't answer that and as she drove up to my school I ignored her goodbyes and focused on finding my friends.