The Neglected

The silver strands of sunlight pierces through each and every crack in the curtain. Like a bullet, shooting across the room and upon the face of the young prince. With a solemn groan, he rose from the comfort of his luxurious bedding and stretched his strong arms into the air only to let them fall to his side. His pale blue eyes found the door and gazed upon its golden handle for a minute or so before he stood and sighed. His name was Azubuike Hurben Onyx, second son of the beloved King Deskon Onyx.

"Typical... No one to wake me. Not like I need them too..."

Ever since Azubuike was young, no servant would dare risk their lives to wake a silly boy. Not even his own mother would care to spend he time to peek her head in to make sure he was awake, like she did for his brother morning after morning.

With little effort, he rose to his feet, making his way across the sturdy wooden floor to the scarlet curtains. A quick movement from his arm and the curtains were slid open. The light of the morning sun illuminated his silver hair and olive completion. The sunlight filled him with energy, forcing a soft smile to his face before approaching the large gold brimmed mirror mounted on the plastered wall.

His silver spikes flew in several directions as usual. Azubuike possessed rather long hair for a boy his age, reaching height below his earlobe when tamed. Like his father, his hair was nearly uncontrollable. A simple brush up and to the side directed the wild spikes but didn't quite tame them.

Within a few minutes, The Prince emerged from his quarters dressed to a laid back extent. The sleeves of his white shirt were rolled to the elbows with the first three buttons undone. He adjusted the leather band of his forearm with much caution before making his way down the empty elongated hallway. Many of the servants had scattered the moment he released the door from its closed position.

Through the hallways, around the kitchen, and down the stairs, Azubuike walked to the enormous palace gate. Without any words, the gate keeper nodded to him and turned a series of knobs. Steam traveled through the pipes and moved various gears inside the steel gate causing it to open. The Prince slipped out of the palace grounds and walked along the paved path used for transporting goods to the palace. At the end of the path is the track for the daily trolly that makes it its way up the mountain 12 times a day from the port to the road. Patiently he awaited it's arrival. In the distance from his view he could see the vast City of Haruna along the sea side. Bits and pieces of new and old buildings. When Azubuike was a young child, a neighboring country attacked the city in hopes of taking the capital to rule over the nation of Manacolia. Victory belonged to his father but the City was left in ruin. It took many years of construction to replenish a great portion of the city. As far as he knew, there would never be a war such as that ever again.