District 1 Reapings~ Merlin and Ciara

District One

Merlin Vexen, Age 14

               Birds chirp and the sun is bright when I wake up. A look out of the window reminds me of the event happening today.

               What is it again? Oh yeah!

               It’s reaping day, I almost forgot. I quickly jump out of bed and I walk down a flight of stairs. My mom is in the kitchen preparing the large breakfast while my dad sits in his office, making the final adjustments and add-ons for the reaping ball.

               You may ask yourself why he is allowed to do that. He’s the mayor. He can do whatever he wants to. I cheerily walk into the kitchen, where my sister sits at the table and complains about her breakfast.

               “Mom, the eggs are cremated,” she complains with a frown.

               “They’re made for your brother,” my mom contradicts. I smile, she remembers that I like my eggs dry. I sit down at the table next to my sister. Her name is Mystique—we prefer calling her Missy—but nobody ever remembers.

               My sister throws her fork down on the table like a glum eleven year old would do.

               “First you won’t let me volunteer for the Games, and now I’m treated like dirt.” She scowls.

               “Your brother is volunteering this year, which means only he can make it out alive, dear.” My mom retorts. Yep, I am, indeed, volunteering.

               “I bet I could kill him, easy. Give me a knife and an hour… tops.” Missy smiles.

               “Dear, enough. Merlin, feel free to eat to your liking, I made this as a going away meal, just for you.” My mom smiles. Missy fake throws up before dramatically leaving the room and storming off into Dad’s office.

               “Thanks, Mom.” I smile, getting up from the table and grabbing a plate.

               “My little boy is growing up,” she tears up, dabbing at her eyelids with a handkerchief.

               “I’m pretty sure every boy has to some time, Mom.” I laugh. She gives me a hug before I bury my plate in a mountain of eggs and bacon.

               “You’ll finally be in the Hunger Games,” she beams.

               “I know, I know. Don’t get too excited.” I reply. She exits the room while I eat alone.

               I’ve never really thought of myself volunteering before. It was more of an implication being a District One boy. Most boys here are born, go to school, go to high school, volunteer for the Games, come home victorious, and live a long successful life.

               I dig through the mountainous pile of eggs, and like expected, they were cooked to perfection, crispy and dry.

               I could hear Missy complaining about me volunteering and her not.

               The only reason I am is because I know I can win this year. All the kids are going to be twelve, and I’m not the strongest guy. If it was a normal reaping, I surely wouldn’t volunteer until I were eighteen.

               I chew without thought until my mom reenters the room with a silver tuxedo in her hands.

               “It’s reaping time!” she smiles.

Ciara Brate, Age 14

               I pull over a thin golden dress, a must have for a teenage girl from District One.

               “It’s so cute!” my older sister squeals.

               “It’s my time to shine, of course it’s cute.” I beamingly reply.

               “It’s not fair how I was going to volunteer this year until this new rule came up, the Younger Games.” My sister groans. She’s eighteen, which is the natural year to volunteer. But, due to the lowering of the ages, I’m going to be the volunteer, not any other girl in District One will volunteer against me, because they know I’m better.

               I look at myself in the mirror, striking all the essential poses to gain some perverted sponsors. While I’m posing, I feel a tug on my arm as my mom drags me towards the door.

               “The reaping starts in thirty minutes, we have to hurry and drive there.” My mom sighs. She forgot all about reaping being this early. My sister and I quickly get in the backseat of the car and my mom fiddles her car key into the slot before starting the engine.

               My sister and I do each other’s hair.

               Even though she’s not in the reaping, this is something we do to staunch excitement. Plus, it will be the last one for a while.

               When we get to the Square, the mayor is going through his annual speech. I take this time to saunter over to the fourteen’s area.

               I quickly settle in as he starts.

               “May your male tribute please step forward,” the escort says, not even calling a name. Three boys all enter the aisle, thinking they’d be alone. One of them, in a silver tuxedo, notices the other two boys and bolts up the aisle. He’s a fourteen year old, and he reaches the stage first.

               “And what’s your name?” the escort, Tellinale, asks.

               “Merlin Vexen, age fourteen.” He smiles.

               “Ah, son of the mayor, welcome to the Games.” She shakes his hand.

               “And now can we have our female tribute step forward?” she asks hopefully.

               I immediately walk into the aisle, alone. I’m the only volunteer. I walk up dramatically to the stage and shake Merlin’s hand. His black hair is swept aside to show his blue eyes. I remember those eyes anywhere, he was in my class last year.

               “I’m Ciara Brate, age fourteen.” I smile and say into the microphone.

               “District One, I present to you the District One tributes for the 1,500th Annual Hunger

Games!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This chapter was written by Cudge407 :] The first four will be by me, and the next few will be by LittleMissActress. This was based purely off of random selection :D