Heart

Sitting in his room the boy was writing out a letter. It'd been over 16 years since he had written but, he wanted to do this. After all, it'd be the last one he'd ever write. Sitting back in his hospital bed , Robin looked at the ceiling and smiled.

"I remember the day when I was told about it."

It had been a normal day at the tower when he had his world crash around him. Crime had been at an all time low, so they had pretty much time to spare. Robin had been 16 when he'd been diagnosed with the cancer. To live 16 years with it...that was a blessing he counted.

He was in his bed that same day , when he was over come with pain and felt extremly sick, his team kept saying to rest ... But he never, he just worked and he worked into the night until he'd collapsed. The next thing he'd known was that he'd been in hospital and undergoing surgery. When the doctor had come in... He uttered the things that he'd never wanted.

"You have terminal lung cancer."

Those words had shattered his world into fragments.

"I know it's hard... But we've managed to halt it. For now... But I'm sad to say... You won't get better..."

Tears pricked at his eyes, this was till.he was going to die with cancer. It wasn't fair...how could he have gotten cancer...he was healthy, he exercised...so how could he get cancer. Robin swallows the bile in his throat and takes a few deep breaths.

"What about the titans...my family...I can't abandon them.."

Robin stated. The doctor shook his head and sat with him.

"Son, I don't think you understand. You can't leave here...your cancer is not in remission. It is delayed, our staff is holding it back as much as we can but unless you stay here. We can't do much."

This was insane, he couldn't abandon them...they'd hate him...no, he had to say himself, looking at the doctor, he spoke.

"I will come back. But I will not let my team down. I have to formally resign. Like a real hero."

The boy stated to the doctor . After a moment, he nodded.

"Alright. We are doing this for you...even Heros..have to stand down at some time in their lives....sadly...this is just, your time to stand down..."

Explained the doctor as nice as he could. It might as well have been a story bout puppies being shot because, Robin felt like he had little to live for. The boy stood up and walked from the area, and dialled Starfire .

"Star. I'm calling to tell you ...I love you... I love you but, I need to be honest. You're too good for me...and I won't be alive long enough to see life with you. So go, go and be happy. This is the last time I'll call....Robin..."

Once he stated this, he smashed his communicator. If he was to die, he'd die at no ones expense . The next person he'd contacted was batman and the league. He repeated the same step and smashed his phone, now you may think this cruel. But batman had been in enough pain from his recent stroke...to add this on, would kill him. Robin didn't want that. As soon as he was done, he asked for paper and pen. The doctor asked him of this.

"You said, I have 16 years right?"

Asked Robin. The doctor nodded dumbstruck and watched as the boy began to write down on the paper.

"Then I have 16 years worth of stories to tell."

Robin knew who this was going to, why he'd send it there,meh had no idea...but of all the people, it was him that he'd remembered so well. The doctor quizzed on who this person receiving the letter was, the only thing Robin said was .

"He's a person who owns a slice of my heart."

He stared at the paper and then started to write once more.

"And I want a slice back."

This confused the doctor as he sat watching his patient write out the words.

"Dear, asshole...."

----

This is a prequel to Letter.

Short n sweet.