Summer

He could hear her, in his sister's room, playing the piano Beverly never used.

Her voice...her voice made it even harder for him to swallow his feelings and keep going down the hall. Yet her voice kept him glued the spot.

He closed his eyes, let the melody wash over him. She was singing 'Summer' by Calvin Harris, ironic as they had met just as summer ended and school began, when she came home with Beverly.

Suddenly, he opened his eyes abruptly as a door creaked open.

"Hey, Beck-" Her eyes narrowed in a silent accusation.

"Were you listening?"

Becker flushed. "No! No...I was just..."

She stepped out of the room and glared playfully, smacking his chest lightly.

"You were so listening, git!"

God, that accent. He'd kill to hear it scream his name, but instead, he only smiled at her.

"So what if I was? You're not a bad singer, Lai."

She flushed. "Whatever. Have you heard from Beverly?"

He pretended to think about it. "Hmm...let me see...nope."

Becker gave her a 'duh' look, and she laughed again. Maybe she never had to scream his name if she'd keep laughing.

"You're funny. Beverly was funny..." Her face darkened. "Till she disappeared off the face of the damn earth."

Becker laughed. "I can tell you're totally not bitter about that at all."

She flushed more. "It's just...I keep sticking around because I want to believe she'll come home at some point if I'm here, she leaves early and returns late."

Lorelai sighed. "I'm bloody screwed."

Becker smirked. He knew how she meant it. He knew how he wanted her to mean it.

He tried to shake those thoughts out of his head. No. She was his little sister's best friend, it wasn't right to think of her that way.

"Well, um..." He swallowed hard. "Just hang in there, Lai." He patted her shoulder and walked as quickly as he could, without seeming suspicious, to his room.

Once on the other side of his bedroom door, he sighed and let himself, his entire self, relax.

She might be Beverly's best friend, but she was Beverly's very cute best friend, with a hot British accent.

Who's to say he couldn't enjoy that, so long as he kept his thoughts to himself ?