Vampire Brother

I made way along the wall, moving through the shadows.  I liked the shadows; nobody seemed to notice you when you moved through the shadows.  My clothes molded perfectly into the dark.  I had always worn black.  It also helped encourage them to keep a distance.

   The streets were full of strange people.  I could feel at ease in the evening.  Just one more freak in the big city.

   I had always felt different.  Even at school I had had few friends.  I also had few enemies.  I was just the kid you would say hello to in passing and then carry on your way.  It wasn't just my dark looks and pale skin, it was also the rumours.

   Everybody knew that my brother had been born a freak.  The stories had flown quickly through the neighbourhood.  Almost as quickly as my father had flown out of the door.  My mother hardened herself against everything.  I was probably the only one who had seen through his exterior. 

   My anaemic look appealed to some of the girls, but I had found relationships dangerous.  People get hurt when you get too close.

   I found the bar.  It had dark, sombre colours and was dimly lit.  He had probably chosen it on purpose.

   It didn't take long to find him.  His description had been quite clear on the telephone, but it was not necessary.  I could have spotted him instantly.  He was trying to look relaxed, but he didn't achieve it.  His nervous eyes darted around the room when I walked in.  Perhaps I had been wrong about his profession.

   He had chosen the back booth.  That was probably for my benefit too.

   "So, nice of you to come.  I was not sure you would."

   "You have me curious.  Consider me the proverbial cat."

   He chuckled.  "Now, now.  That is why we are here, to give you a longer life than that cat."

   "And why should my life interest you?"

   "I know what you are.  Heck, I probably know more about you than your mother."

   He fingered a bunch of files lying on the table.  I guess he was one of those types who believe that information is power.

   "Then it would be proper to tell me who you are?" I replied, though he had already washed every doubt from my mind.  "Why have you asked me here?"

   "Like I was saying, I know a heck of a lot about you.  I don't figure you're a bad guy.  I can't attribute a single murder to you after you outgrew primary school.  I believe you may have it under control."

   I let him bask in the feeling of superiority his information gave him.  I knew that only I could ever know the truth.

   "You seem pretty confident.  What if you're wrong."

   "Like I told my friends, what if I'm right?  With you on our side we could close them down."

   "Do they have a name?" I asked, not bothering to hide my sarcastic tone.

   "People like you, creatures of the night."

   "You mean vampires.  You want me to help you find more vampires.  From what I've heard you haven't been doing too badly."

   "I'm good at my job, probably the best, but I'm not taking any more risks.  I want the others wiped off the face of the earth."

   Genocide had always been a sore point with me.

   "You don't think that vampirism could be managed like any other illness?"

   "You guys have powers, we can't take the risk.  I'm offering you a chance to protect mankind."

   "You know nothing," I replied, getting irritated at his self-righteous attitude.  "You don't know if I am a vampire.  You don't know if I'm dangerous and you certainly don't know how to protect people from their own fears."

   "Look, your friends killed my brother, don't you tell me how much I know about you."

   It was a try for sympathy; maybe it had won a small amount.

   "How did he die?" 

"Trying to finish off a group up north."

   My sympathy was gone again.  I didn't bother to reply.

   "Look, you know how it feels.  You lost your brother in '74.  You were young when he disappeared, but you must have felt something."

   "That was different.  My brother was disappearing long before '74.  The people you want to protect never believed in having a freak in their midst."

   "I offer you money and I offer you amnesty.  We would make good partners.  We could clean this entire planet."

   He hadn't listened to any of my words.  I felt nothing for him.  It was the first time I had felt this way in years.

   "He's yours." I said, and stood up.  I turned instantly and walked away.  I never saw my companion trying to figure out my words, and I never saw what followed.

   Soon enough I saw a dark flickering in the shadows to my rear.

   "Did you kill him?"

   "I left enough blood for him to remain sitting their.  I never liked old blood anyway."

   "I know," I replied, rubbing at a sore spot on the side of my neck, "but I need a rest".

   "Well, now you have a couple of days.  It was nice to try something else."

   We walked on, keeping to the shadows.  People don't seem to notice you so much when you keep to the shadows.