Innocence of the vampire

Paul's mind buzzed with a thousand thoughts and scenes.  He could already imagine tomorrow's headlines; "Romeo & Juliet", "The Power of Love", "Shocking End to Lovers".  He reached out for Angela's small hand & stepped on to the final platform.  They stood for a few seconds, the tall, dark man and his smaller girlfriend.  She stared up into his eyes and he knew that all would be well.  He reached for the cable.

   Twenty thousand volts, slipping fingers and then flying, in a blaze of heat.

   Angela stood there a few seconds, alone.  Below her, on the ground, she could see movement.  The dark figure was still alive.

   Running across the paddock the four newcomers were headed towards the power station, beckoned by an almost deafening boom.

   Angela ran quickly down the ladder, stepping of the final rung just as Chris, the first of the new comers climbed through the wire and stopped by the softly groaning body.

   "Is he...?" Angela whimpered, standing close behind Chris.

   "He's alive.... Somebody call an ambulance!" shouted Chris, ignoring the girl.

   Lying on the ground, Paul's mind was fuzzed with pain.  He slowly reached out a scorched hand towards the girl.  She held it a few seconds, screamed, and ran towards the station.  Sitting down she sobbed into her hands.  Her thoughts were of futility, senselessness and failure, failure to confirm the power of love.

   She looked upwards, towards the enticing cable, and began to climb.  The others positioned themselves around the sobbing body.

   "Where is she?", merely a whisper from the body.

   "Following you."

   "She won't do it," and then silence, punctuated only by uneven breathing.

   As the first siren burst into their world Chris followed the young lady and sat by her side.

   "Did you love him?"

   "They wouldn't let us."

   "He's going to live.  What use will it be if you are dead?"

   "They won't let me near him now."

   "Then you have time to grow on your own."

   "Are you on your own?".  Such pale eyes.

   Chris shook his head and pointed to a brown haired girl silently patting a scorched, blistering hand.  The silent, brown haired girl stood back as the paramedics entered the ground.

   "It's like another world down there," said Angela from her perch.

   Another siren, more menacing than the others.  Angela had heard it coming before, in the dark alleys and outside the violated shops.

   The man in blue climbed the ladder, stopping short of the final platform.  He waited silently as Chris spoke.

   "It is not as big as it all seems.  You might get help and support.  I'd like to help."

   "Give me your phone number, then I'll go."

   The eyes intensified, burning through his mind.

   Chris handed a business card to the fragile girl.  She lent towards him and placed a gentle kiss on his neck.  She lingered a second, allowing her teeth to rub sensuously against his skin.  Then she climbed down to the man in blue and was gone.