Two.

>>>>

[sans.]

>>>>

"Hey, uh..." I trail off when all three look at me. The nonexistent heart in my chest starts beating overtime. Why do I get like this? This nervous whenever... well, I shouldn't really have to ask that. I've never done... this. This social stuff.

"Yes? What is it, Sans?" Asgore seems kind- I liked him immediately. The guy is sure excited about tea. For now, we're walking through a place surrounded by lava. I'm incredibly confused about where we are. This isn't what the Earth looks like, to my knowledge.

"Nothin'. I just have a lot of questions." A small hand slips in to mind. For a second, I almost lash out. I'm not used to people... touching me. Not without me doing it first. Hell, it's been about an hour since I've escaped the hole I was stuck in for... I'm not sure how old I am.

But Chara looks incredibly nonchalant about it, and I'm not one to rain on a parade.

"We're almost to the castle. Do not worry." Asgore and Asriel walk ahead, leaving the kid with me. For a second there's an awkward pause. But Chara smiles warmly (as warm as they can, with the cold eyes that they possess) and squeezes my hand for a second.

"You can start asking a few questions, if you would like." Nodding, I go over all the questions that are clattering around in my head.

Why'd you name me Sans?

Where am I?

Where's the sun?

How old am I?

Did you know me before all of this?

Why was I down there?

Did I do something wrong?

One at a time, though. I have to see their reaction to every individual question, so I can correctly measure the response. People are so interesting from the comics, and it's really cool to see the different emotions in person. Taking a deep breath, I voice the questions out loud.

"So... Sans, huh? Kinda catchy. But why?"

Chara lets out a loud laugh that startles both Asgore and Asriel. The two jump and turn around. It's obvious the little goat kid takes after his Dad. I wonder where that leaves Chara. Where's the mom? After the two goat dudes are comforted in watching us for a second, both turn back forward. I hear them talking about the flowers in the garden, and how they look particularly nice today.

They sound so amused and caught up in the talk of flowers. Flowers, nature... man, that sounds so much better than rocks.

"You know... the font? Comic Sans? You seemed like a joking kind of guy from the moment I met you." Chara giggles. "Nothing deep behind it. I am sorry if you do not like it. You can always choose another name, I would understand." It's interesting how nobody in the family seems to speak with contractions.

I feel so behind with speech when I talk to them. Of course, I'd talk to myself in the pit. It helped me not go completely insane. But having a conversation with another thing is a lot different from thinking up a bunch of different water and rock puns. Then yelling them out to the emptiness.

"Nope. Never heard of the font. But I'm sure it's font-tastic." I'm surprised I've never heard of the font. Chara snickers at my joke, but it's brief laughs that I get. Tough crowd. "Thanks, anyway."

"For what?" Chara seems confused.

Like I shouldn't be thanking them or something. But the fact that someone cared enough to give me a name, to not leave me in the dark... it means everything to me. Not that I'd say that. It would give too much about me away.