Escape!

THREE YEARS LATER

"Anything is possible. Even an A from Mr. Brotch."

"Your daddy doctor ain't here to save you now, is he? So what are you going to do now?"

"Stop slacking and get back to work! Selfish and insubordinate, just like your father!"

"Wake up!"

"Okay, you need to know this..."

"Wake up!"

"I'm not going to be around to hold your hand forever..."

"Come on! Wake up!"

Andromeda was roused by someone shaking her very violently. 

"Come on, you've got to wake up!"

"Ugh, god... What is it?" she groaned, trying to roll over to escape the light above her head and the loud blare of the alarms. 

.... Alarms?

Andromeda bolted upright, almost banging into Amata as she did so. "What's going on!?" she demanded, looking around frantically. Why were the alarms going off? They usually got some prior warning if there was going to be a drill. And if not.... what was bad enough to make the Overseer set them off?

"You've got to get out of here!" Amata said, frantically beginning to run around the room, grabbing the spare uniform from Andromeda's closet and random objects and shoving them in her old school backpack. 

"Amata, what's going on?" she asked again, blinking in confusion as she watched her friend push piles of papers, with random inventions Andromeda had been working on, to the floor as she rummaged around in her desk. "What are you doing?"

"It's your dad!" Amata said, not stopping in her frantic search. "He's gone and my father's men are looking for you!"

It didn't click for a moment. Maybe it was because she was sleep deprived, or maybe it was the impossibility of the situation, but Amata's words made no sense. "What?" she asked.

Amata didn't seem to hear her, still throwing things into the backpack frantically. 

"Amata..."

"He left the Vault!" she snapped. "Your dad. He left the Vault, okay!?"

Andromeda felt like someone had pulled the rug out from under her feet. "What?" she asked again slower this time, her voice horse. "My dad.... That's impossible."

Amata's words spilled out in a jumble as she began to shake. Even with her back to Andromeda, she could tell her friend was crying. "I thought so too, but it's true. He's gone and Jonas' dead and now they're looking for you."

Andromeda could only sit there. Jonas.... dead?

"My father's men," Amata continued, sniffing and wiping her tears. "They took him, and... They thought he helped your dad escape. They caught him. Brought him back to my dad's office... Oh god..." She covered her face with her hands, her shoulders shaking violently with every sob that wracked her body. 

Andromeda moved as though in a dream. One second she was still in bed, the next, she was at Amata's side, wrapping an arm around her shoulder and pulling her closer. 

"Oh, Andromeda," Amata sobbed, turning into Andromeda's chest. "My father... I've never seen him this angry. He's gone crazy!" She looked up at her friends face with terrified, tear-filled eyes. "Oh god, you have to leave! You have to leave now! If they find you... If they find you..." She broke down sobbing again.