A Million Ways

February 5, 2013

My heart thrummed loud in my chest. What was the chance he'd actually followed my clues? He'd probably come home tired and gone straight to bed instead of following some weird set of instructions through Orlando. I checked the time again and sighed. Victoria had texted me that Myles had come home from the studio a full hour ago. I should have just gone straight to the house rather than try to pull off this elaborate surprise.

I drained my glass, wondering if it was time to go to bed. As it was, jet lag was yanking hard at me. But I'd wanted to see him so badly. He'd been in Florida recording for Alter Bridge for a month now and phone calls just weren't doing it for me. Just as I was about to give up, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Excuse me miss, is this seat taken?" I knew the voice as well as my own. As I turned to face him, my smile stretched ear to ear.

"No, no one's sitting there." I could hardly contain my excitement as Myles slid onto the barstool next to me.

"So, you come here often?" His hands were pressed flat on the scarred wood of the bar, but they were twitching, as if he was straining to keep them down.

"Actually I'm here to meet my husband; I haven't seen him in a month."

"Lucky bastard, gets to take you home every night."

"Well I've been waiting for an hour and he hasn't shown up yet, so I guess you could take me back to my room." With that, I slid off the bar stool and strutted away, putting every ounce of sexy I had into that walk. Based on the sound of his bootfalls, it had worked.

We managed to keep the charade together all the way to my room. I'd had the good fortune of getting a room on the first floor so there was no unbearable elevator ride to take. We'd barely gotten through the door before he caught me up in his arms. His mouth on mine relieved an ache I hadn't even noticed until now.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming?" He asked between short pecks on my nose, cheeks, forehead, mouth.

"It's called a surprise, dumbass." I giggled, wrapping my arms around his neck. "I wanted to see you, so I snuck away for a few days."

"Shouldn't the guitarist be there for the recording?"

"Lola just started her vocal tracks. They can spare me for two days to come see you."

"I can hardly believe you're here." His hands slid down from my back to rest on my waist.

"Believe it, I'm here." I thanked God that he was just wearing a t-shirt and cardigan today. As much as I loved him in buttondowns, those things were damn inconvenient when you're trying to strip your partner as fast as possible because you might just catch fire otherwise.

"I have one more question for you."

"I have one more answer."

"How does this dress come off?" I laughed and took a step back so I could show him the zipper down the front.

"For easy access." I unzipped it and let it fall from my shoulders. He hissed through his teeth when he saw what I was wearing underneath.

"You need to tell me the name of the place you get your lingerie from, we're buying you more."

"Neither of us can afford that many pieces from that place. So you'll have to be gentle with this set." I sat down on the edge of the bed, crossing my legs primly. "Now, I've taken off my clothes. It's time for you to take off yours, stranger." It was funny how sometimes he took off his clothes like he was arthritic and sometimes he practically ripped them off his back. Today was one of the ripper days.