Chapter 1

The crowd cheers. Steady breathing. Powerful legs under me. Waiting for the buzzer to sound. Ready, Set, Run. 

The buzzer sounds. Long, beautiful, dark bay legs shoot out, running. Turning the first barrel and on to the second. Feeling free running to the third. Turning the third smoothly, running home. Three smooth, tight, perfect turns. Running home as the crowd cheers me and Diesel on. My brother, my sister, and my grandma are screaming, "Go, Go, Go!". Running back where I started, I saw a perfect time of 13.59. I lifted my hands above my head and smiled proudly. As the crowd cheers, I glance at my family. They gave me a big thumbs up and happy smiles. It's nice seeing them smile again.

After my amazing run, I went back to my trailer. Untacked Diesel and gave him water and time to rest. "Oh my gosh, Spencer! That was the best run I have ever seen!" Maddie squealed. "Thanks Maddie, I knew we would go out their and do our best. He just was so good for the past couple months." I said with relief. "Well to bad too bad your parents couldn't come. Your mom just didn't seem right. She needed to see a doctor." She said worried. "Well y'all should head home. I'll get Diesel in and we'll be on our way home." Maddie nodded and gave me a small, yet tight hug, "Okay, see you later sis." 

"Bye guys!" I say, giving them a small wave as they leave.

As they left, I put Diesel's fly mask on, put his hay bag in the trailer, and put him in. As I closed the trailer door, I had a voicemail from my dad. "I wonder what this could be about?" I thought to myself. I pressed the "play" button and listened. "Hi Spencer. Look, I know your at a barrel race but this....this is important."