Chapter 3

Here is what I came up with. I hope you like it!

---------------------------------------------

He opened his eyes slowly as they became focused and alert. His breathing came in heaving puffs that made the air around him become misted and cloudy. His ears picked up scurrying sounds and further from that noise, a snap of a twig. He maneuvered his bow into position moving a few branches that obstructed his view.

He placed his head high in the air, sniffing and trying to sense what might be lurking about. His wolf pawed at him and lapped its large jaws in anticipation. The scent of fresh prey filled his nostrils, the scent of blood, meat and fear that intermingled with each other. The smell was intoxicating, and the wolf inside him pranced its large silver and black paws whimpering and yapping in him.

"Shut yer yap dog! I cannay concentrate with yer constant yammering and whimpering," he snapped scolding the inner beast.

"The smell of the adrenaline, fear, and meat the rabbit is giving off makes it difficult! Just go chase it already," the wolf growled.

"Shut yer yap! I will get the meat jus' be patient!"

The wolf did not respond. Bragan adjusted his eyes once more to the surrounding wood. His eyes spotted the rabbit just over the ridge next to the great fallen oak.

It's ears perked up in attentiveness as it switched back in forth in different directions. It's nose twitching as it sniffed the air; it's breathing was gasped and frantic making its sizable cinnamon and white spotted body beat in and out rapidly, adrenaline rushing through the animal, it's heart rapidly pulsing, and the intoxication of the interlude of scents and smells just about made him lose control. The rabbit smelled the predator nearby, but couldn't see its doom.

Bragan took an arrow from its quiver and placed it on the bow's string. He pulled back, took aim, and fired the arrow straight into the rabbit's heart. Bragan jumped from his place shedding his tartan, shirt, and other things and piling them on the ground. He took a deep breath and calmed his body placing his palms up in surrender to the beast. He did not notice the snapping and reshaping of the bones, muscle tissues, or tendons anymore.

His body accepted the conversion of the beast willingly, and accommodated the change from human to beast. Black and silver fur sprouted after the flesh had disintegrated from his body. All humanity was shed allowing the room for his inner beast to be freed from its prison; however, this did not make him suppress his true self and allowed some real control of his body.

The wolf smacked its lips as saliva trickled from its mouth. It smelled the prey and pounced on the dead thing with vigorous enthusiasm. The wolf closed its massive jaws on his feast and tore through the flesh and meat savoring the taste of its kill.

"Laird McKinnon," a deep brogue voice called in his mind.

He did not answer.

"Laird," the voice once again called.

Silence, as the wolf ate.

"BRAGAN!"

The wolf growled and Bragan called out to the voice mentally, "Aye!"

" 'Tis me, Bragan, Gunther ye know. I know how you are when yer lettin' the beastie take over."

"Is tha' wha' ye wanted to tell me," Bragan thought blandly at him with a lace of irritants.

"Nay, Laird. I jus' wished to ken when ye'd be comin' back to the holding. 'Tis almost harvest moon's tide and the younger ones need their Alpha to lead their newly awakened beasts. Achadh luach raich {a worthy field} needs this harvest moon, Bragan"