Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"I'm sorry Kimberley. Can we please just talk no more tears. She wipes away the last of my tears and I feel compelled to wipe away hers. My thumb gently strokes her cheek, she pulls away and returns to the couch.

My nerves and emotions are all over the place so despite the early hour I rush to the kitchen for a relaxing bottle of wine and two glasses. I figure its the best way to progress the pending conversation. I sit on the couch close but not to close. We face each other with our legs tucked under us.

"Why Chez?" I ask after downing half of my glass.

"Why what?"

"Why is it to the point of making amends when we could have been friends long ago."

"I was..." she looks down composing her thoughts and then looks to me sadly "I was jealous." Beyond that she doesn't say much.

"Of?" I reach out grasping one of her hands in my own, gently stroking it with my thumb "I don't understand, jealous of what?"

"Of Sarah" She looks down to our hands before continuing, "she had you..." my breath hitches, she can't mean what I think she means. "You were her best friend and I wanted you to be mine. My life was complete sh!t before I first moved to London and met you. i had a chip on my shoulder and thought the world owed me one perfect thing for my tough luck. I hoped that perfect thing could have been you as a friend."

"We still could have been friends."

"I know but I didn't want to share. My whole life up until then I shared and sacrificed everything, I thought you could be the one thing that was mine. You already had Sarah and what if she didn't like me? I've been in those situations where someone better was chosen over me, geordie rubbish."

"I never knew you felt like that" I say with tears forming in my eyes matching her glistening ones.

"I know but I was a jealous teenager, sure we could have been friends but she was well still is your best friend and I could never compete with that."

"A girl can have more than one best friend. Nicola proves that I consider her a best friend. For the record I wasn't like that I never thought you were geordie rubbish. Honestly there was always something about you that I found quite intriguing." I smile trying to lighten the mood.

"Oh, intriguing was I?' She says with a dimpled grin, "I always wondered why you tried to snog my face off at that party. I suppose you were just intrigued, eh?"

"Oh my god!" my face goes red with embarrassment. I was so p!ssed I could never remember if I actually tried it on with her or just wished I tried it. "No you're not that interesting" I try to make the quick save, "I was drunk and horny, you happened to be the closest person to me." I laugh. We fall into playful banter that was rare in our past.

"Not interesting? So if given the opportunity you wouldn't try again?" She flirts or at least I think its flirting, Wine was a very bad idea. I'm locked in her gaze. "Who knows, you might just succeed."

Whoa. Wine definitely a bad idea. Last time I checked she was straight, she stole enough of Sarah's boyfriends to convince anyone. Last time I checked I was straight too, ok maybe I had a few or maybe a lot of curious thoughts about her before but I'm definitely straight.

I find history repeating itself but this time i hope for a different ending. My lips find hers but this time she doesn't cast me aside. She parts her lips, I dip my tongue inside the barriers I was denied previously. Its a slow sensual kiss that she begins to take control over as her tongue now invades my mouth.

I moan and pull back breathless and rest our heads together. "Wow" is my only coherent thought.

"Yeah I know she smirks. Aren't you lucky you just happened  to be the closest person to me," she laughs. "Don't go falling in love with me now."

"Somebody's got a big head. It was a one off, I can safely say I won't fall in love with you" not again.

"Promise me"

Her tone alarms me, "What?"

Her eyes are pleading with me. She brings her hand up to stroke my cheek, "please promise me" her gaze intensifies.

I nod my head which isn't enough. I soon realize this is no drunken request, " I promise."