Chapter Two

"Music happens to be an art form that transcends language."~ Herbie Hancock

   After my morning prayer, I begin my day by going to Calculus; because only God can save me from this living nightmare. Some say that if you're good at music then you are also good at math. That definitely doesn't apply to me.

    The denotation of the word Calculus is the branch of mathematics that deals
with the finding and properties of derivatives and integrals of functions, by methods originally based on the summation of infinitesimal differences. The two main types are differential calculus and integral calculus.

The definition of music is, vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion. I believe my case has been proved.

After I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, the next three periods go by in a blur. AP-Chemistry, AP-Government, Health and finally AP-Lit.

Among my parents love for music, they also shared a love for literature. The classics mostly, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, Anna Karenina, The Great Gatsby, Gone With The Wind; But their favorite hands down was To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

    My parents have always been huge advocates for social justice no matter race, religion, or sexual orientation. They're the model example for parenting in the twenty-first century. They raised me on the morals of these books, I remember my parents telling me so many quotes for To Kill A Mockingbird as a child.

   I remember when I was in the seventh grade and this boy I "really liked" didn't really like me at all. I came home on the brink of tears, after telling my mom what was the matter she got down on her knees and said,

  "Radley, do you know why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird instead of a songbird?" I shook my head no. 
     "Well  a songbird has the ability to sing such a beautiful melody, causing anyone to hear it to fall in love with them. A mockingbird on the other hand has another kind of talent. A mockingbird has the ability to love unconditionally regardless of ones faults, which is a very daunting task, knowing that the one person who you cannot stop thinking about is not perfect. But when a songbird discovers  those faults, they stop singing; and the person is released from its spell. The person then learns that it was not the songbird they wanted most but instead it was the mockingbird. They then leave in search for that very special bird, but it is no where to be fount, it left knowing it was for the best. " She then grabbed me by my face,

   "My sweet Boo Radley, you're a mockingbird. You have the gift of loving someone for their flaws not their perfection, which is just as much a curse as it is a gift. You'll have to learn to understand that it is sometimes better to let someone go, even if you don't want to, and if they were ever yours, they will come back to you. But if they don't, then they never truly belonged to you in the first place. Now do you understand why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird?" I nodded.

   Even after all these years I still remember those words, and the curse I have to deal with until my demise.