Chapter Four

"There is pressure in the path less woods, there is rapture in the lonely shore, there is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and the music in its roar; love not man the less, but nature more."~Lord Byron

Lunch was the usual bore. The constant rumble of hundreds of people partaking in a hundred different conversations all at once. It's horrible not having lunch with none of your friends, so I always sit at a booth near the windows with a good book in hand.

After thirty minutes of reading, the bell rings signaling the end of first lunch and the start of band class. I make my way to the band room with a skip in my step, when I finally reach the huge double-doors I allow the huge grin to spread across my face.

"What time is it? It's band time! What time is it? It's band time!" I burst into song and begin to 'dance' if you could call it dancing.

"Radley Melissa!" Exclaimed my father. "This is the band room not the choir room. If you wish to sing, I will gladly go and have your schedule changed." I laugh.

"Sorry Mr. Kennedy. I'm just so excited to be here as per usual." I give his a huge toothy smile as I walk passed the office where him and my mother were standing, shaking their head at their eccentric daughter, to retrieve my Clarinet from my cubby.

   "Hey Radley!" I turn to find a smiling Edward Taylor with a Saxophone around his neck.

   "Hello Edward." I give him a curt nod before making my way towards my seat.

  "Oh don't be that way Radley. I know your still not mad at me." I turn back to face him.

  "You caused me to loose fifty bucks on a bet. Of course I'm mad at you Edward."

   "People make mistakes Radley. We're only human after all."

    "You forgot to check the key signature! You learned that in the seventh grade." I release a breath. I cannot stand ignorance.

   "Oh come on Radley. It was just an F#. It's not that big of a deal." I raise my eyebrow.

   "It's not that big of a deal? Of course it is. It's a half a step above what it's suppose to be, but whatever no big deal." As I walk to my chair I mumble, "Stupid Saxophones."

    "Hey! I heard that!"

  "You wee suppose to." I smirk, not bothering to turn around.

   "Smart ass Clarinet player." He 'mumbles' I threw my hands in the air.

    "Mr. Taylor. This is a no cursing environment; if I hear another one come out of your mouth I'll have you schedule changed. Is that clear?" Scolded my father.

         "Yes sir."  Edward replied with a flush of embarrassment quickly forming across his cheeks. My father nodded then clapped his hands together.

    "Okay band pleas get to your seats. That includes you Radley." I give him a smile as I sit in my chair and begin to piece together my Clarinet. 

    "Okay everyone lets start by playing the Bb Concert Scale." He's says as he lifts his hands to start conducting us.

  You can't fake music. You might be a great singer or a great musician, but in the end that doesn't have anything to do it. It's how you connect with the music and give it life.  I love music. It's my freedom; a way to deal with pent-up frustration, Michael Cobain Millican.

   *Ring Ring Ring.

  "Have a wonderful day class, I will see you tomorrow." With that my dad dismisses up with a quick was of his hands.

   I quickly put away my Clarinet since I have to climb three flight of stairs to go to my next class. Luck me.

   "By mom. By Dad." I say as I pass their office as I walk to the door.

    "Radley, don't forget you've got Orchestra practice after school." Calls my mother.

        "I won't." With that I walk out of the band room doors and I start fast pacing to the stair case but of course being the clumsy person I am I trip over the smooth linoleum floor.

  "It seems that Ms. Know-it-all doesn't even know how to walk on a flat surface."