Shoot to Kill

Prologue

I‘ve always liked Lyric better. She had that exquisite persona that people see in only one person in their lifetime. Every guy wanted her and every girl wanted to be her, including me. She was never a bitch about it, but she also wasn’t exactly a saint: she was just your average popular girl. Even though her attitude wasn’t the best, she knew how to make people smile. Her personality had two sides: a kind, funny, creative side; and a pushy, sarcastic, inconsiderate side. 

She looked like an angel: long blackish-brown hair that flowed on top of her glittery light-beige skin, almond-shaped hazel eyes that sparkles when she displayed her shiny white teeth and full rosy lips, moderately sized breasts to flatter her hourglass figure, and a perfectly-shaped nose, something that a lot of people at her school couldn’t copy no matter how many surgeries they had. And she had the perfect body: not too tall, not too short, and supermodel skinny while still having a little bit of curves. She looked great in everything, which made her so fashionable. Lyric had a taste for the wild and edgy trends.

She was also a social butterfly. She had an account for every type of social media you could think of: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Vine, Keek, Google +, and even Myspace (which she hasn’t used since fifth grade, of course). She loved being around people; she loved trying and seeing new things, and she loved several tastes, which was why she had so many friends. She took every new opportunity that fell into her hands, because she always wanted to experience something different.

Lyric was most famous for her school spirit. She was the one who screamed the loudest during the pep rallies, the one who led the entire crowd in a motivational cheer for the football team during their games. She was deemed by many of the teachers “the best cheerleader we ever had” and “a staple on what cheerleading should be all about”. She was part of the Link Crew, Leadership, Drama Club, and the cheerleading squad. She always wanted to be a leader, and she had the skills to change everything that she’d touch. 

Lyric had so many great qualities, and that is why so many people are drawn to her. Everyone liked her; everyone wanted to be her friend. She was the envy of every girl that ever knew her. It was as if she was a star in her territory, but that star was trying to burst for the rest of the world, but can’t seem to reach it. But it didn’t matter to Lyric; all that she wanted to do was just live life.  

Sadly, not every girl was like her, especially one girl that drew me to insanity. Her name was Mikayla Neufeld. Mikayla was nothing but a country hick, and you could tell that she would only be a country hick. She only wore jeans, a t-shirt, and either Converse or cowboy boots, even to freshman orientation/registration. And every t-shirt she wears had something to do with some kind of agricultural group like FFA, 4-H, Rodeo Club, or some kind of tractor organization. 

Even if you put her in a feminine dress and high-heel shoes, it wouldn’t be enough to make her look pretty. She had dull dark-blonde hair that was so depressing that it needed to go through a car wash and get chopped in layers. Her eyebrows always looked misshaped, and she doesn’t seem to invest in makeup (or makeup doesn’t really help). Even the way she talks makes me want to die. She also wore these fugly bronze square glasses that makes her eyes smaller than they really are. It also seems like she ate country-styled food and never worked out, because either she was very lazy or she has a low metabolism thanks to her parents. The only thing she had going for her was her smile (which I’ve only seen in her yearbook picture).

The only thing worse than her looks were her personality. She only wanted to be the popular girl on campus, but she never deserved it. My friend Tori met her at a fruit stand, and Tori, being the naïve saint that she was, decided to become friends with her. What she didn’t know, however, was that Mikayla was a clinger. She wanted to be with Tori all the time, and she was supersensitive when Tori and the rest of us will play a joke on her. Mikayla was super competitive with us, and she was irrational about all her ideas. She also started to say mean things about us (even going as far as conveying she and Tori make a Burn Book, like in Mean Girls) so Tori would stop hanging out with us. I even suggested that Mikayla had a lesbian-crush on her, though Lyric thought I was being a bitch.

Ultimately, her insecurity took to the social media: she wrote unfriendly comments on Facebook, threatening tweets on Twitter, and mass texting the entire school about how nasty we are. She even comes up to us during passing period or lunch and tries to push our buttons. I brought up the idea that we beat her down, but Lyric decided not to stoop to her level and give her what she wanted, because she always strived to get what she wanted. No one did anything about those comments: the administrators, the police, our classmates, not even us. Eventually, we hardly saw her as a threat, and let all the comments die down on their own. 

Mikayla’s personality is so unfortunate, because if she wasn’t so mean and insecure, she could still be alive today. 

 Author's Note: The prologue and the epilogue are narrated by a different person, while the rest of the story was written by Lyric herself. Let me know of what you think of the story so far and leave a comment below. I should be able to upload the first chapter soon. Also, sorry that I couldn't get the title on the cover. I'm still trying to figure that out.