A Dream by: Edgar Allan Poe|Quotes

In visions of the dark night I have dreamed of joy departed- But a waking dream of life and light Hath left me broken-hearted. Ah! what is not a dream by day To him whose eyes are cast On things around him with a ray Turned back upon the past? That holy dream- that holy dream, While all the world were chiding, Hath cheered me as a lovely beam A lonely spirit guiding. What though that light, thro' storm and night, So trembled from afar- What could there be more purely bright In Truth's day-star?

A/N: I really like this poem, and I'm going to read it to the class. I'm so nervous:/ Anyway, hope you like the poem, and really appreciate these amazing poets who can really capture so much feeling in a few stanzas. If you don't understand this poem, http://www.asfmtech.org/16sree4867/2013/01/30/a-dream-by-edgar-allan-poe-analysis/ is a great site:)

"I was never insane, except upon occasions where my heart was touched"

"never to suffer would never have BEEN Blessed."

"Believe in only half of what you see, and nothing that you hear."

"Years of love have been forgotten, in the hatred of a minute."

"All that you see or seem, is but a dream within a dream."

"The past is a pebble in my shoe"

"We loved with a love that was more than love."

"Words have no power, to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.

"It is a happiness to wonder; it is a happiness to dream"

"I am a writer. Therefore, I'm not sane."

~Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849)