[III] Running

"Find anything today, ladies?" asked a cheerful voice.

Though she knew what the answer would be, a smile lit her face nonetheless. It was good to be out under the high leaves of the trees. Sun shining bright and streaming in through the spaces between the tall plants. Every now and then the wind would blow, bringing the ever comforting feel of a cool kiss to hot, sweaty skin.

"Not yet, Ms. Haswell," came a chorus of voices.

Niminah's mother made her rounds, running through a roster of names in her head, while at the same time keeping an eye out for anything they might've missed. Their findings haven't been many for quite some time lately, but they did manage to find the occasional leaf stone.

"Well that's a shame. Keep at it then!"

"Yes ma'am!"

 With a huff of air and an affirmative nod, Rissa Haswell turned on her heel and headed to her office in the forest. It was a small little wood cabin. The kind you would see in storybooks. Admittedly she didn't believe in anything as a kid, but the stories were interesting. The cabin had taken little over a year to make, seeing as it had only been her and three other friends who had their own jobs to attend to that built it.

This was before she had been given the job of running a group of archaeologists and was actually still in the process of studying. The cabin itself was in need of a few patch-ups. A few planks had fallen and there was a crack in the porch. Due to the slow but sure movement of the ground, the steps were a bit uneven as well. The interior of the cabin held glass cases with stones and small fossils that she had found when she first started working. She always told herself she'd turn them in some day. However, she simply had such a connection to to them all that "some day" wasn't coming all that soon. Near a corner just beside a window where sunlight trickled through was her mahogany desk and red rolling chair. Behind it, in the actual corner, was a shelf with numerous books lining across it,

She loved the little cabin with all her heart. It was something she had worked hard on. Crossing the threshold, she took in the musty scent that wafted throughout the cabin. She'll need to clean it again. However, that could wait. For now, she just walked to her desk and sat the chair, taking a large book from the shelf and opening it to a random page.

This one was going on about the theory behind a legendary Pokémon of the Kanto region. Just glancing a it reminded Rissa of the stories she used to tell Niminah. She sighed and turned the page, wondering if whether or not she should have let her daughter speak that morning. Although she didn't think Niminah could be the least bit right about her Arcanus theory, she knew how hard it was on the girl to constantly be teased and shot down.

Just as she flipped another page, her cellphone rang.

She took her time in setting down the book before fishing out her phone. Seeing that it was her daughter's school calling, she sighed, preparing for yet another call on her daughter's teasing. She pushed her hair back and aswered it, placed the phone between her ear and shoulder as she picked up the book again.

"Hello?"

"Is this Ms. Rissa Haswell?"

"Speaking."

"Ms. Haswell, I'm afraid this is about your daughter..."

She gave a small nod and skimmed over the page about the legendary "rainbow bird." Indeed, it was once again the same old news. She closed her eyes before taking hold of the phone again.

"Yes, I'm sorry. I told her to keep quiet about the stories, but she just won't listen to me sir, I--"

"I'm sorry Ms. Haswell, but it's not about that this time."