Chapter 2

Chapter Two

August Skye’s POV

Double pirouette, balancé, assemblé, chasse to fourth, fondue, pas de bourrée and kneel. Double pirouette, balancé, assemblé, chasse to fourth, fondue, pas de bourrée and kneel. Double pirouette, balancé, asse- Oh why can’t I get this out of my head? It really is frustrating. It’s not that I don’t like dance – I love it - I just can’t deal with hearing Madame Frances’ voice going through my head for much longer. It is just. So. Irritating!

I have had dance all day, from eight thirty to five. Street dance was eight forty until twelve thirty, then lunch until half one, before ballet at one forty until five.  Despite having two different routines today, I have only got Madame Frances voice stuck in my head ; I would much rather have Mr Richards. His isn’t as, as…. Urgh! I don’t know? Just not as annoying and what makes it worse is that at least Mr Richards gave us an hour to practice on our own and work out the thirty two counts we had to do our own choreography at the beginning, rather than spending two hours practicing the same steps over and over again so that they are now stuck. In. My. Head! I am so relieved I don’t have a ballet solo, any more of Madame Frances and I think I could pass out.  Thank goodness I only have her routine once more this week.

So what is this all about? Well at the end of year thirteen, your last year at the school, unless of course you stay on for a degree, your year group put on a massive show for the rest of the school. Now that all our exams are over rehearsal for the show, which will be towards the end of July, are now in full swing.  That means for the next month and a half I will be rehearsing eight thirty to five Monday to Saturday. Yes, Sunday is our only day off but at least I get to spend all week doing what I love; dancing and acting.  That’s right, it’s not just a dance show there will be singing and acting as well.  I only do the latter of the two. I gave up singing at the end of year eleven, so I could focus on my dancing and acting, the two things I am most passionate about.  Doing the show might just seem like a bit of fun but it’s competition to get the best parts for each of your studies mine are: ballet, street dance, contemporary, tap, modern theatre, Shakespeare and musical theatre. Yes, I know I gave up singing but musical theatre class is compulsory. The show is massive and includes group dances, solos, duets, short-plays and more and auditions all take place in one whole week. I managed to gain… wait a sec I need to grab my timetable – my memory is useless.

I walk slowly across my shared room, to my desk to grab the timetable that has a list of all my rehearsal times and my roles.  I try to be as quiet as I can so as not to disturb my twin whom is busy revising for all her A-levels. Although I did well in my GCSE’s I’m not really in to the academic side of life, hence why I go to a performing arts school. I slot my fingers into the handle of the top left draw and pull. The familiar creak of the draw seeps into the silence cast across the room and my face muscles tensed with apprehension; hoping I haven’t disturbed Summer. I as I grab the piece of paper I sigh, mission successfully accomplished. Rather than returning to my bed I lower my body on to the round stool at my desk.  I gingerly place my timetable on the wooden surface in front of me and scan my eyes over the text:

Performer’s Name: August Skye Mckenzie

Age:17

D.O.B: 31st July 1995

Hang on, why is my age and birth date relevant? I let out a heavy sigh of disbelief. I really do wonder why the school always adds unnecessary information.  I fold my arms on my desk and continue reading.

Disciplines: Dancing and Acting

Roles:

Street dance: Main Group dancer – Crank That by Soulja Boy