Chapter Five (Dylan)

The grey cat was curling on top of the bench, one eye watching me, staring through my soul, like a blade of olive-green pierced through my heart.

I'm not sure why I'm here in the first place, at the frosty park, behind a bench that a certain stray furball just happened to be napping on.

I'm Dylan, a teenager who's popular for no reason at all. I act polite to everyone, and I suddenly get people greeting me, noticing my every breath, every step, every motion.

Honestly, I wish I were a ghost, so I could just live in solitude for a while.

I let out a sigh, white mist drifting away with the wind. The cat stirred, once again giving me a long glare.

It leaped gracefully off the bench, walking away. Occasionally, it would turn around and stare, tail motioning for me to follow it.

It led me to a small, icy pond. It was the size of a large puddle, and the only thing that stopped me from thinking that it was one was the depth. It could be almost 7 feet deep, the clear water reflecting the street lamps that illuminated the park.

Wait. The reflections of the water were... different. I looked the same, the background of trees and rocks were this same as well. The silver cat was, instead, a girl.

She was mouthing something to me, but it was nearly impossible to read her lips.

"Hey, cat..." I started.

The girl in the lake stopped 'talking', and she looked at me expectantly. Here we go, Dylan. Talk to the cat like you would to another person.

"Excuse me for the awkward introduction, but what's your name?" I asked, although somewhat embarrassed.

The reflection tried to tell me, but it was no use. The cat looked at me and blinked.

"I-Is it okay if I call you Tara?" I asked the reflection.

She hesitated, but nodded her head after a few minutes.

"The cat'll be named..." I paused, thinking of a good name for her.

"Tartar Sauce." I finished.

Named after my grandmother's cat who ran away and hasn't come back.

The girl in the reflection facepalmed, and soon realized that I was watching her reaction.

"Well, Tara, I don't know about you, but I like the name." I sighed.

She waved her hand, dismissing the subject. I checked my watch, it was eight thirty.

"Um, T-Tara, meet me back here in this spot tomorrow," I stuttered.

I must look stupid talking to a lake.

"It's getting late, and my family would kill me if I don't go home soon. Sorry." I waved to the cat, running home.

I nearly tripped.
Shoot! I'm supposed to be the best runner in cross-country! What's wrong with me tonight?