Chapter 1-Run

The Apocalypse
(ARIAS POV)

I woke up to the sound of something that was a high-pitch shriek. It didn't sound human. I ran downstairs to find my mom, but she was nowhere to be found.

"Mom?!" I yelled as loud as I could.

No reply. I looked all over the house, but still nothing. Just as I was about to give up, I heard a cry from under the stairs.

"Hello?" I asked.

"I'm s-scared."I heard a frightened small voice say.

It was my younger sister, Ava.

"Ava, what are you doing under there? Come here."

She came out slowly.

"Where's mommy?" She asked with tears in her eyes.

I hesitated, thinking of words that wouldn't hurt her 5 year old self.

"She's probably just at the store." I finally said.

Ava said nothing and started walking toward the kitchen. I just stood there thinking of what that shriek could have been.

"Aria, come here," Ava said.

I walked into the kitchen and she pointed to the counter,

"why would mommy leave her purse here if she went to the store?" She said, having a point.

Mom wasn't at the store. I then realized that the back door was wide open. I walked outside to the backyard and a horrific smell hit me in the face. I followed the smell, being the curious 16 year old I was. I walked around the house as Ava followed close behind. That's when we saw the terrifying scene we never wanted to see. It was our mother. She lay there, lifeless, with chunks bitten out of her! Ava let out a glass shattering scream. I covered Ava's eyes and picked her up and ran inside. I was scared. Really scared. I didn't know who...or what did this, but I had to stay strong for Ava.

"Hey look at me. Everything's going to be okay. Alright? Now, I need you to go upstairs and pack a bag, okay? I'll be up in a minute." I hugged her and she ran upstairs without saying anything.

I grabbed a blanket and went back outside and covered mom up. I picked some tulips from Ava's Garden and placed them around her.

"I love you, mom." I said as the tears ran down my face.

"I'll take care of Ava, I promise."

Our mother was the only person we had left. Our dad died a year after Ava was born. A drunk driver hit him head on.

I went and got the gun out of my mom's nightstand. When I went upstairs, Ava was wearing shorts, a sweater, and flipflops. And in her backpack was only a stuffed animal and a toothbrush. I laughed slightly.

"Oh, let me help you." I said with a half-hearted smile.

I went to her bedroom and got her a pair of skinny jeans, rider boots and a black coat. Then I started packing her bag. I didn't know what was out there, but I knew there was more and I was getting my sister out of there. I packed socks, underwear, jeans, and toothpaste to go with the toothbrush she already packed. I gave her the clothes so she could change while I went to my room to get myself ready. I was shaking and crying as I hurried through my room, grabbing everything I thought I might need. Then I got dressed. I wore the same outfit as my sister, only slightly different. My coat was a dark brown but the same leather material as hers, and my rider boots were also brown and hers are black to match her jacket. I put my hair up and ran downstairs.

I grabbed an empty backpack and put six bottles of water, a box of crackers, a thing of bread, peanut butter, and as many cans of food that I could find.