U N O

Remington looked out his frosted window behind his bed, and watched the sun rise carefully behind neighboring cars and roofs. He snuggled back under the few blankets he had and hid his head under his pillow. "I'm glad there's no school today." He whispered to himself and curled into a ball. He stayed there in silence until she came in.

Trying to stay as still as possible, Remington shut his eyes and held his breath. His mother, Karmel, came in. Taking a puff from her cigarette, she swung a black leather belt around. "Remington, wake up you little shit." She said, slurring her words together.

Karmel's bleach blonde hair was in pink curlers all over her head. Her makeup from the night before was smuggled and she was wearing a worn out, neon green robe. Upon her feet were leopard print slippers.

She let out a large belch, tripping over her own feet as she stumbled into Remington's room. She looked around for movement, and was silent for sound. Remington made the mistake of letting out the breath he was holding, a bit too loud. His mother swung her head around and marched with determination towards his bed. She ripped the covers off of him and threw them onto the floor, along with the pillow covering Remington's head.

Karmel smirked, taking another puff from her cigarette. Remington sat up quickly and squished into the corner of his bed. As Karmel gained her balance, she raised the black leather belt and brought it down against Remington's already bruised skin multiple times with vengeance. Remington held his breath and winced in pain. But he made sure he didn't cry. He'd learned that if he showed weakness, his mother would gain power, as if she would feed off his pain.

Soul-Sucker was what Remington called his mother.