CHAPTER THREE: Familiar Places & Bad Memories

The car ride to the funeral was silent. Sam had spent several days in the hospital recovering from the fire, and he had dreaded the day he was to be released; because that would mean having to face the truth. Jess was dead. He didn't get there fast enough, and now she's dead. Dean had told him multiple times how it wasn't his fault and that he shouldn't blame himself for what happened, but Sam didn't listen. He knew that he could've saved her, and he didn't.

When they finally arrived, Sam already had tears streaming down his face, not caring to wipe them away. Dean gazed at his little brother's tear-streaked face in a sympathetic, sorrowful way, as he hesitantly sepped out of the car. Dean's own tears started falling as they approached the dark coffin, remembering the last time he had seen one.

Sam's breath hitched in a sort of gasp as he stepped closer, the tears running down his cheeks as if they were a waterfall. Sam took a deep breath and closed his eyes as he leaned forward and placed a flower on the coffin, gently sliding his hand across it in a loving gesture, breaking into a quiet sob as he pulled away. Not wanting to open his eyes again and see the worst of his nightmares infront of him, he turned to Dean, who was silently crying as he pulled his brother toward him into a hug, only causing Sam's cries to become louder as he practically fell into his older, yet smaller, brother's arms.

Dean had figured it had been enough so he turned and guided his brother towards the car while Sam's head remained buried in his shoulder. Dean had a distinct memory of the dream. Cas' tears. How much he had wanted to hold him and tell him he was sorry and cry on his shoulder.

"Dean?"

He was snapped back to reality by the faint sound of Sam's voice, strained and weak from all the crying. Dean realized then that he had stopped walking in the midst of his memory.

"What's wrong?" Sam said, still sniffling.

"Nothing." Dean said, though it felt like a distant response, as if he were still in a dream. "Just.. you know, bad memories."

Sam nodded and leaned his had back onto Dean's shoulder as they finished their journey to the car. while Dean drove away fro the cemetary, he could see out of the corner of his eye, Sam's forehead against the window hand pressed against the glass lazily, his tired, tear-filled eyes still resting on the closed coffin. And as he closed his eyes, a single tear flowed down his cheek, his face softening as he fell asleep. An almost child-like look was on his face as Dean reached over and gently wiped the tear from his face, his hand lingering slightly on his cheek as Sam's had on the coffin.

"I'll take care of you, Sammy." Dean whispered softly as the engine roared quietly, driving down the highway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soooo sorry for not updating, I've been really busy recently and haven't much time.

Also, apologies for the extremely short chapters, I just want the different parts to be separated.

it may take me a while to update again.