Emily's Story

The Once Was...

There once was a woman who worked very hard for her family. Her name was Emily, she was a mother. The father ran away when he learned when she was pregnant, she still loves her child nonetheless. She was 16 when she learned that she was pregnant. She is 32 right now. She had to quit school and work hard for her child. When her parents learned that she was pregnant they threw her out. She lived in a tent for 9 months until one of her friends took her into their house. Emily pays them back by doing house chores while working 3 part time jobs. Her friend rarely comes home so she has to keep everything tidy. Now that she is 32 years old her child is 16. Emily's child hates her. He blames her for everything. He is an absolute slob even though it isn't their house. Emily tries to tell him to try to clean up but he yells at her to get out of his face. He used to be a momma's boy until he learned the awful truth of what happened with his father. She told him that she passed away, but he overheard Emily getting yelled at by her mother. He started to despise her. Saying things like,"I'LL MOVE OUT ONCE I GET THE CHANCE," or things like"I WISH YOU NEVER GAVE BIRTH TO ME !" Despite everything Emily still loves him like a good mother would. She has a bunch of part time jobs so she can buy him everything that he wants. Emily's schedule is work,work,work, go home, clean, nap then repeat. She gets every second chance to sleep but she always makes sure she spends time with her son. Even though when she tries to talk to him she is yelled at and ignored. Emily still loves him she will do everything and anything to make sure he has a better life than she has. She is now 34 it's been a couple of years. She is more overworked now that she has to pay for college. He wouldn't get a part time job since it is hard and he has to keep up with his studies. She just smiled at him and nodded even if he scoffed at her. She has been even more overworked. Emily is now at her fourth job cutting out patterns for fans. Emily suddenly felt drowsy and closed her eyes for a second. It's now have been a year. Emily died at her job, because of being overworked. She didn't have a funeral or anything. Her son donated her at a lab so she can be used for dissections, to get more money. It's been awhile since he went to her friend's house. He greeted her friend and said thanks. He is moving out and going near the university. He went to his mom's room to sell her junk for money. He went into her room and it was bare. There was only a sleeping bag and a small piggy bank full of loose change next to the bag. His room was full of knick knacks and fancy expensive things. He found a small note under the piggy bank. It was full of a list of things she wanted to do with him when had free time. On the list there was go to the park, read a story together, and eat together. He found a small pang of guilt in his heart. In the piggy bank it was full of paychecks and hundreds of dollars for his college money. He noticed it was from different companies saying part time job. He felt terrible she tried to do everything for him and he once never said thank you once. He felt terrible.