1: condoms & candy crush

PICTURE: ASTRA WICKED

The graveyard shift always proved to be the most uneventful time of my life. The local supermarket rarely had any customers after midnight, so it was pretty easy money. I was currently sitting in a trolley with my legs dangling over the side trying to advance my level in Candy Crush.

I barely glanced up from my brightly lit phone when the bell signalled customers. I had heard this pack of boys in the parking lot. I assumed they were high and getting food for their munchies. That seemed to be the majority of my customers tonight.

I figured I had about 15 minutes before I had to get out of this runaway trolley and behind the counter. There were a flurry of words consisting of 'hey' or 'hi' as the pack of boys walked past me.

Once again I didn't look up or return the greetings, I merely waved my hand over my head dismissively. However, I didn't get out of talking to the customer as I thought when someone cleared their throat.

"What?" I asked, still entranced in Candy Crush.

"Where are the condoms?" Was the mumbled, flurry of words I received.

"Aisle 7." I replied automatically. I heard the customer walk off, mumbling a quick thanks as I tried not to laugh.

Roughly 13 minutes later I heard someone coughing. I figured it was time to close down Candy Crush and do something slightly productive. I jumped out of the trolley and strolled over to the register, surprised to see Luke Hemmings with a basket full of stuff.

"Luke?" I tilted my head as I moved passed him to get behind the counter. I had gone to primary school with him, but that had been a long time ago. "It's me, Astra." I added in case he didn't recognize me.

"Hey." He grinned as his eyes raked up and down my face. He probably hadn't recognised me at the start, but I wasn't surprised. I didn't really keep in touch with anyone from Primary School. "I didn't know you worked here."

"Graveyard shifts." I explained with a cringe. "You won't see me during the daylight."

I placed my hand in the basket and picked up the first item, which happened to be a bright blue packet of condoms. Hello, Mystery Customer, I thought amusedly. I delicately raised my eyebrow but refrained from commenting on the array of condom packets in Luke's basket. I felt like it would just be more awkward if I made a remark and knowing me it'd be an attempted joke that'd backfire.

I could hear all his friends laughing as they nudged and pushed Luke around. They were all cracking jokes, but I only recognised one of the guys, Josh Schumer. He went to primary school with Luke and I, then high school with me. He was also in a group of friends that occasionally partied with mine, so we had seen each other more regularly than I had seen Luke.

"Hey Astra." He nodded in acknowledgement. I could tell by his pursed lips that he was having a tough time holding back his laughter. "You going to Gab's on Saturday?

"Josh," I smiled. "I was thinking about it. Are you?" I asked as I grabbed the first packet of condoms and scanned.