Chapter Five

Silverpaw treaded carefully into the ShadowClan forest. Dawnpaw crept ahead of her, hiding in behind the long tree branches on the ground. The trees creaked as a cold wind blew into the trees. Silverpaw shivered. Leaf-bare had made all of the rogues weak and frail.

"Come on!" A cat snarled in the distance. Ivy, Silverpaw thought. She pricked her ears and bristled. What is she doing here? She's supposed to be in RiverClan territory! Apparently, Dawnpaw had the same thoughts in mind.

"Forget hunting," Dawnpaw hissed. "Follow them!" Silverpaw followed Dawnpaw deeper into the dark forest, and tried hard to blend into the trees. But with a glowing, silver pelt, it was hard.

"Where are they, mother?" Ivy growled. "Have you gotten any news?" Ivy continued padding deeper into the woods, and the patrol of ShadowClan cats rushed to keep up.

Lighteye flattened her ears. "No. It's almost like they've vanished from the clans!" Ivy flicked her tail in frustration.

"Our enemy must have helped," Ivy scrunched up her face angrily. She turned to the small group of cats behind her. "Go back to camp. Help Thistlestar and the others. Assist Clawfang as much as you can. He'll need all the help he can get, especially since greencough is going around," she ordered. "Lighteye and I will continue searching on our own."

Greencough? Silverpaw thought, horrified. That's horrible! What about Poppythorn's kits? The outcast RiverClan cats had visited the camp once or twice in the last three moons, and saw that the kits were weak and fearful of Ivy.

The ShadowClan cats bowed their heads. "Yes, Ivy." They ran as fast as they could from the clearing.

"I assume that you know who the cats in the prophecy are now, yes?" Ivy unsheathed her claws and scraped them against a tree. Lighteye nodded. "I should have killed them when I had the chance," Ivy hissed lowly.

"But you didn't," Lighteye replied frighteningly calmly. "The only thing we can do right now is to hunt them down." Her eye flickered to where Silverpaw and Dawnpaw hid, almost as if her one eye could see through trees. "And shred them so there's nothing left to send to StarClan."

Silverpaw and Dawnpaw collapsed into their nests, panting.

"What happened to Troutsplash and Bramblefang? Did Ivy get them?" Dawnpaw asked, sitting up, suddenly alert. Her eyes widened as she saw something outside of the den.

"I think they wanted to train somewhere outside of the twoleg den," Silverpaw answered, curling up into a ball.

Dawnpaw gaped in disbelief. "They couldn't have gotten hurt like that training!" she yelped, and stood up abruptly. Her thin orange and white body scrambled out of the twoleg den.

Silverpaw looked at the entrance of the den, where Dawnpaw padded in, supporting two injured toms. Troutsplash and Bramblefang had large gashes running along the pelts, blood dripping from them and staining the wooden floor. In an instant, Silverpaw was supporting Bramblefang as they limped to the makeshift medicine cats den that they had made. Bramblefang and Troutsplash crumpled into their nests, staining it with crimson blood.

"What in StarClan happened to you?!" Silverpaw exclaimed, while grabbing cobwebs.

"We were training," Troutsplash said weakly. He winced in pain as a poultice was put on his cuts.

Dawnpaw stomped up to him and glared at him. "Training?" She snorted. "Stop lying! Even a ShadowClan cat would be smarter than to train with their claws unsheathed! Tell me the truth!" Dawnpaw demanded.

Bramblefang looked up. "We aren't lying, Dawnpaw," he said gently. "We actually were training. Just...in a more effective way, that's all. Troutsplash suggested it."

Troutsplash grinned sheepishly. "There have been cats in my dreams," he explained. "They taught me how to fight well on land. They told me that I could use these fighting skills to save RiverClan." He smiled. "I think it's StarClan!" Dawnpaw took a step back.

"No. No, they wouldn't do that," she shook her head. Silverpaw understood Dawnpaw's thoughts.

"Maybe they're the cats in the prophecy," Silverpaw murmured. "Why else would StarClan talk to them?"

Dawnpaw shook her head again. "It can't be. Aspencloud said it was us!" Bramblefang and Troutsplash looked back and forth between Silverpaw and Dawnpaw.

"Prophecy! What prophecy?" Troutsplash asked.

"Yeah. What prophecy are you talking about?" Bramblefang said. Dawnpaw turned away.

"Nothing. Nothing important," Silverpaw replied quickly. She glanced at her sister, warning her not to say anything. "But I think we need to go to the Moonpool."

Dawnpaw nodded in agreement. "We need to get things cleared up."

Troutsplash and Bramblefang stared at the apprentices for a moment, mouths open. Then, together they swallowed and laid back down on the moss.

Troutsplash muttered, "They've got bees in their brains." Dawnpaw hissed at him, but Silverpaw turned to the den, looking at the cold outside.

First our parents are killed, then our leader gets killed, then were kicked out of our own clan by a crazy cat who kills kits for fun, Silverpaw thought. Now, Troutsplash and Bramblefang try to kill each other saying that StarClan taught them how to. What's next? Flying badgers and helpful foxes?