4: Phone Call

The slamming of the door downstairs awakened me. It was so unusual because my mom never slams the door like that, unless it was the carpenter from the other side of the street who keeps flirting with her or it was dad? 

I came down quick to see who it was. Not caring if my breath stinks or that I'm wearing my favorite unicorn shorts. 

I froze in front of the door—I can't believe who I am seeing.

Jake Campbell sitting on the front porch with flowers in his hands. 
I don't know for whom or for what is that flowers. To me? No. That would never happen. I called his name, "Jake?"—

"Elizabeth! Wake up!"

What? Wake up? Mom?

"Elizabeth!"

I opened my eyes carefully. It took me five minutes to realize that it was all a dream. It felt so surreal. Or maybe it was not? Maybe this is a dream too? I sit up, scrutinizing through my white walls, contemplating if that scenario really did happen. 

I was a bit disappointed though, I really really  want to know what's going to happen next. What is he going to say? Is the flowers for me? What if that dream really meant something?

Stop it Liz. It's just a dream.

No! I never dreamt of him. Ever. 

"Elizabeth! How many times should I call you before you go down?" Mom exclaimed

"I had a... dream. Oh my God! What time is it?!" I rushly look for my phone but my phone is not beside me.

"Eight in the morning."

"I have classes today!" 

"Can you stop overreacting? Not like you wanted to go to school. Let me talk first. In the dinning room."

"What was it you wanted to talk about?" I ask, taking a sip of my cinnamon coffee

"My excitement was over because it took you so long to go down."

"Hey mom, since when did you become a drama queen?" I laugh

"Anyway, someone called you this morning, so I answered it."

My heartbeat is throbbing so hard, "Who was it?"

"From a network."

"Oh."

"You sound disappointed. Expecting someone huh?" she pokes me 

"I was not—what network?"

"Star Channel. Here's the sad thing honey, ETC didn't pick you but Star Channel called you which is a good thing." 

"Why is it a good thing?"

"They want you on their show!" mom squeals

I can't understand what I'm feeling right now. I may be disillusioned for ETC but I'm so overwhelmed by the fact that Star Channel had called me. 

I almost spit out what I'm eating.

"NO WAY!" 

"Yes honey. I know!" she claps her hands,
"They will be waiting for you around this week, from eleven am to six pm!"

I shook my head,"I know what you're thinking mom. I know you want me to go today."

  ❀ 

 "Mom, is this déjà vu? You, coming with me again to this thingy.."

 "I don't consider this as a déjà vu hon. This has not happened before."

Just after we ate, we quickly changed clothes into appropriate attire then ran to my car. We can't overcome our excitement anymore! I can't imagine Star Channel would ever pick me! I feel so blessed. 

We're headed to Los Angeles again because Star Channel is located there as well. I read articles that said ETC and Star Channel are rivals. Their show ratings compete each other. 

When we walked in, a staff approached me to go directly to the CEO's room; Ms. Campbell's room. Although the last name made me flinched, I was still amaze of how all the people smiled at me. As if they knew me already. 

"Uhhm.. Hi?" I say as I open the door

"Ms. Carter is that you?"

"Yes, it is me."

"Take a seat. Don't be shy," she taps the couch beside her.

I almost stumble. I don't know exactly why I am feeling excited and nervous at the moment. Gosh, I'm so weird.

 The room was a loft type. Filled with couches and posters on the walls. The posters posted were their shows. I smile as I took my seat, it feels warm and cozy in here.

"I sense you're probably wondering why you're here..." she started
"Mr. Harris wants you in his upcoming TV show; Sweeter Than Fiction. We watched your audition by the way, we knew you got the potential and just timorous about it."

"Are you saying that...?" 

"Yes. We already filled up your application form. You'll be meeting Mr. Harris on Saturday—wait, you go in the same school as Jake Campbell do you?" 

She glance at my shirt that says, I ❤️‍  WU.

"Jake has that shirt too, even his friends. I think everyone that studies there has that shirt." she added. It felt like she just read my mind.

I nod slowly, wait, what? Did I just heard that right? Jake? Jake who?

"Jake Campbell? He... he auditioned too?" I ask

"He didn't audition, he's my nephew. And I want him to be an actor too." 
"Can I ask for a favor? Can you give this to him by tomorrow?" she handed me the brown envelope.

Should I take her offer?
Of course, she already hand the envelope. God, what did I do wrong? Why is this keep on happening to me? I'm acting like a lunatic again. Why am I so uncertain when it comes to him? 

But if I will refuse her, that'll be rude. I mean, I got the job and my only pay for her is this. My only problem is that, how will I hand him the envelope. I can't just come to him and say, "Hey, your aunt forced me to give this to you. So, here you go." I don't know what to do. I'll be needing a long hot shower after this. This thing is killing me.

"Sure, why not." I smiled

"Here's his digits. You can text him if you want." she took a piece of paper and write on it.

There's no way I would be texting him, but I took it anyway.