eight

Phil grabbed the donuts and I carried the drinks out to the car. I stopped to look at Adrian, he was sleeping, his knees on the back of my seat, and his arms folded across his chest. Even though he was sleeping, you could tell he was exhausted. He looked tired. I unlocked the car quietly, and set each of our drinks in a cup holder. Phil was buckled in already, and he set Adrian's bag with his donut beside the sleeping boy.

"It's a 10 minutes car ride to the school.. I'm gonna let him sleep." I said starting the car and pulling out of the parking lot. I turned the radio on, just soft enough to hear the bass, and nothing else. Something about this volume was very peaceful. We drove in silence, Phil taking small bites of his donut, and me constantly looking at Adrian from my mirrors.

"Thank you for breakfast Dan, you're a great cool." Phil teased, throwing his straw wrapper at me.

"You're welcome Phil. I worked extra hard on your donut."

"That sounded really bad." Phil said a smile creeping onto his face.

"Oh hush! Get your mind out of the gutter." I snickered and looked at Adrian again, he was snoring softly, adding to the peaceful atmosphere. "Phil?"

"Yea?"

"were you serious when you said we should just skip today?"

"I was dead serious." I stopped at a stop sign and got out my phone, dialing my mom.

She picked up on the second ring.

"Dan, what's wrong?" I could hear the commotion of the hospital, and I felt bad for calling her while she was at work.

"I'm not feeling up to school today, and apparently neither is Ade. He is out cold and I think we should just stay home today." I crossed my fingers, hoping she would be okay with it.

"Yea, that's fine. I'll call the school later to let them know you guys are "sick." I love you, have a good day I'll see you tonight okay? "

"Thanks mom, love you too." I hung up and gave my phone to Phil as I started driving again.