Chapter 30

Zayn is driving at full speed in London’s streets to get to the main street, where the bridge is, rain falling hard on the windshield on the car. 

Louis is in the passenger seat and Harry, Liam and Niall are in the back seat. Louis is hyperventilating and crying hysterically. He keeps on wondering if Cassandra is already gone… 

This thought wrings his heart. 

Liam, Harry, Niall and Zayn are also in some kind of destabilizing shock. They really didn’t expect such a plot twist. 

They completely destroyed Cassandra on the inside for her to come to this point! 

Zayn, very focused on the road, finally gets to the main street; there’s a long line of cars in front of them, going as fast as a turtle. Total traffic. 

- FASTER ZAYN!!! Louis yells through his tears. HURRY WE DON’t HAVE A SECOND TO LOSE!!!
- Louis! I can’t! Zayn exclaims. It’s blocked! There’s traffic all the way long!
- EXCEED THEM! Louis shouts, about to have nerves attack. THERE’S OBVIOUSLY A WAY TO EXCEED THEM! HURRY WE HAVE TO STOP CASSANDRA FROM KILLING HERSELF!!!!!!!!
- I CAN’T! Zayn screams, panicked. THERE’S TOO MUCH CARS!!
- FUCK OFF! Louis exclaims. 

Louis opens the door, jumps out of the car and sprints in between the numerous cars. 

- LOUIS!!! Niall shouts along with Liam, Zayn and Harry. 

But he doesn’t listen to them. The rain falls on his, the thunder is echoing like a bomb through his ears and the lightning illuminates the night just like a stroboscope. 

He runs so fast his lungs are about to tear up, he wants to get to the bridge the fastest he can. The tears are mixing up with the raindrops on his face. 

- LOUIS!! BE CAREFUL!!! LOUIS!!! WAIT!!!! He hears behind him. 

The boys are running after him, way behind. Louis doesn’t stop. He keeps on zigzagging between the cars, feeling the glacial raindrops slamming against his skin and listening to the noise of the thunder. 

Suddenly, he stops abruptly. He’s there. He’s at the bridge. 

His breath his heavy and jerky. Louis sobs violently when he sees a shape, arms placed on both sides of her body, leaning on the edge of the bridge. 

She seems ready to jump down. 

- CASSANDRA!!!!!!!!! Louis yells with all the power left in his lungs. 

Louis runs near her and Cassandra turns his head to him.

- LOUIS!! GO AWAY!!! DON’T GET NEARER!! Cassandra says, forced to scream because of the sound of the drenching rain. GO AWAY!!!

Louis can see the tears in her eyes. He can almost hear the crack in his chest at the place where his heart is supposed to be. 

- CASSANDRA!!! He screams back. YOU DON’T HAVE TO DO THAT!

Niall, Liam, Harry and Zayn finally arrive at the bridge but stay one meter behind Louis, observing the scene.

- LOUIS GO AWAY!! Cassandra yells, sobbing harder. I HAVE TO DO IT!!
- NO CASS! Louis shouts, crying harder. DON’T DO THAT! IT’S NOT YOUR FAULT! IT’S THIS GHOST! LISTEN, WE REACTED VERY BADLY AND WE PUT YOU SO MUCH PRESSURE ON YOUR SHOULDERS! WE NEVER SHOULD’VE SAID THAT! WE ALL KNEW EVERYTHING WASN’T GOING THE WAY YOU WANTED IN YOUR LIFE AND WE ONLY MADE THNGS WORSE! I LOVE YOU, CASSANDRA! I LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY HEART AND SOUL! I’VE NEVER FELT SOMETHING HARDER THAN I’M FEELING FOR YOU RIGHT NOW IN MY WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE! YOU WANT TO DO THIS TO SAVE ME FROM THAT GHOST BUT THE GAME IS LOSING YOU! WITHOUT YOU WHAT WILL I BE? I’LL BE NOTHING! NOTHING I TELL YOU! I NEED YOU WITH ME! WE’LL FIX ALL OF THIS AND I PROMISE! IT’S NOT THE ONLY SOLUTION! CASSANDRA, I BEG YOU, GET AWAY FROM THE EDGE! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, CASSANDRA! GET AWAY FROM THE EDGE…! 
- Louis… she says, crying hysterically. It’s not a question of “we’ll fix all of this” anymore… it’s fatal now. It’s better for both of us… It’s better for the world. I love you, Louis…
- CASSANDRA…
But Cassandra blows him a last kiss, sheepishly smiles to him, then jumps. 

***
There’s rain. Lightening. Thunder. A bridge. Louis’ panicked voice. The sky is calling me. I can’t handle this life anymore. Louis and the boys will be way better off without me… I’ve always wanted to be one of those woman who can get through tough times in her life… But I just don’t think I am.

I’m choosing the loophole… The ghost will go back to the Liverpool house and choose a new victim…

I feel myself becoming lightweight to know all of this is soon over… finally. 

- CASSANDRA…

I turn to Louis and blow him my very last kiss. I try to smile to him but the tears in my eyes and my tightened throat stop me from giving him a proper one. I turn back to the edge of the bridge. 

I jump.

I’m waiting for the shock. I close my eyes and wait for the fatal moment. 

But strangely, it never comes. Maybe I already am dead? Maybe the shock really happened but I simply didn’t feel it and I drowned straight away… I open my eyes to see the gorgeous heaven angels. 

But when I open them, the lightning illuminates just in front of me and the raindrops keep on falling on me, my whole body upside down the edge of the bridge. 

I lift up my head, confused, angry and perplexed to know that I’m still alive and that I’m back in my misery. 

So I lift up my head and I see… Louis. His face is full of sadness and his eyes are puffy and red. His both hands are tightly and ferociously grabbing my ankle.

- PULL! Louis yells behind him. 

Suddenly, I feel myself raise up and out of the blue, I’m back on the bridge. Louis is pulling me by the ankle one meter away from the edge, helped by the boys, all five of them forming a human chain, such as; Louis holding me, who’s held by Harry, held by Liam, held by Niall and held by Zayn. All five of them pulled me out of the emptiness. 

When Louis lets go my ankle and leans over me, I burst out in violent cries, get up abruptly to face him. 

- WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!? I yell in Louis’ face as I sob hysterically. WHY DIDN’T YOU LET ME DIE?!?! WHY??!!
- Because I love you, Cassandra! Louis exclaims, crying as hard as me. It isn’t the way to fix all of this! I couldn’t let you go like this and watch you die! You’re my other half! You mean the world to me..!
- BUT I WANT TO DIE! I shout, my knees growing weaker as my eyelids close tightly, feeling the raindrops falling hard on my face. LOUIS, I WANT TO DIE! 

I fall to my knees and curl up on myself. Louis leans over me and holds me strongly in his arms. 

- Cassandra, listen to me, okay! Louis says, hugging me like he never hugged me before. You don’t realize how awful it is to hear you say those words. You won’t die! This ghost is not worth giving your life away for! We’re going to get rid of him once and for all and this, whatever we have to do! 

Louis makes me get up and looks straight into my eyes, staring directly into my soul.

- I love you, Cassandra. Don’t EVER do that again! Ever! 

***

Louis stares for a long time in Cassandra’s deep blue eyes before taking her head with both hands and kissing her passionately. 

Liam, Niall, Zayn and Harry are watching the scene since the beginning and are so heartbroken to see Cassandra like this. They’re letting a few tears fall. 

But they soon grin when they see Louis kiss Cassandra so passionately that she falls for it. Louis convinced her to stay. 

Louis breaks the kiss and hugs her for a long time in his arms.

The boys walk up to them. 

- We have to get her to the hospital, Liam whispers in Louis’ hear. They have to examine her. 

Louis nods and wipes away his tears. He sees Cassandra getting weak again and fall to her knees. He takes her in his arms and they head back to the car. 

- Come one, it’s over now… Louis whispers in Cassandra’s ear, half conscious in his arms. It’s over now, everything’s alright, you’re safe, it’s okay…