Wild Child Excerpt #1

Excerpt #1 7-25-13

The wolves surrounding me gave me a sense of awareness. I felt their power, every thought, every feeling, every movement raced through my mind. I fell to the ground as they advanced. they growled deeply, but all I heard were the hushed tones of death wringing around my soul like a leash. I stared up into the glorious night sky, in hopes of seeing something beautiful before i took my final breath. The stars dancing around the black canvas above, and the moon alone gave me the strength to welcome death. 

Something was wrong. They didn't attack. They didn't growl, they just circled around me. My back was against the tree, i broke out in a cold sweat, my heart was pounding hard against my insides. I doubled over when the pain became too much. Yet, there they stood, in a circle, still as statues. The alpha was in the middle, his coat blacker than death and eyes like polished steel. He stared into my pained eyes and would not break contact. My chest was beating harder, making it more difficult to concentrate on my surroundings. My hands darkened in pigment like a liquid consuming me. The heat blanketed my hand and raced up my arm. All I could do was scream.

I rolled onto my back, and watched myself become a monster. All of my skin darkened and my body thickened. My chest and arms pumped with boiling blood, pulsing and growing. Then came my lower body, then legs. I was screaming in such pain for several minutes, then my voice began to change from its typical cracky teenage tone into a much deeper, angrier voice. My mouth bled from the sudden changing in my teeth, turning jagged and longer. My fingertips bled too from my nails falling off and claws replacing them. I pushed myself upward and backed up into the tree. I literally felt my hair grow at a rapid rate, it was nothing like mine. It was messy and wild. The color changed from my normal brown, to grey, and finally to bleach white.

I stood up carefully, breathing hard and looking around. My vision blurred completely for a split second, then I could see in the dark woods, clear as day. I stared up into the night sky, as if looking for answers. My gaze met the moon and my stomach knotted. I fell on one knee and felt something building inside me. I had no self control over it. I planted my foot on the ground and clenched my fists. I howled in the night with rage and power. I took a step forward, trying to get used to my new body. i slowly began to walk, and the wolves moved out of the way, and returned to formation behind me. I could feel them under my command. 

“Wild Child” is written by and intellectual property of John Menadue. Anyone attempting to subject any piece from “Wild Child” without permission can and will be prosecuted under court of law.