The Untold Story of the Step-Sister

Everyone knows the story of Cinderella.  Her wicked step-mother tries to keep her from getting to the prince, only so that one of her two daughters can gain the throne and title.  Cinderella and Prince Charming live happily ever after, and the step-mother and step-sisters are cast aside.  Cinderella is the good girl.  But no one ever bothered to tell the famous tale from a different view.

Chapter 1: Under Cover of the Stars

"Now's the time!  Go!  I'll hold them off as long as I can!"  His muscles flexed as he tightened his grip on the musket he was holding.  A bead of sweat dripped off his forehead, the heat of the flames reminding us of the ever approaching danger.  His chocolate brown eyes now seemed dead black with a hint of red anger in them, as if they were sizzling embers.

"Papa!  Come with us!"  The little girl, Genevieve, pleaded.  Her eyes grew wide with the knowledge of her father being left behind.  Her small hands gripped the bundle tightener, securing it's belongings the bag contained.

"I love you all, but there isn't much time.  I'll meet up with you as soon as I can."  His voice sounded different.  Almost as if all hope had burned out, leaving him left with only his determination to save his only family.

"Alan, meet us in Shrewsberry, only a day's walk away, you hear?  Shrewsberry!" The mother called out, after ushering her two daughters out the door.

She led the sisters through the forest, tree branches threatening to grab the trio.  Genevieve looked back, expecting to see her father running towards them.  But, all she found were sets of footprints on the twisted path -- four small feet, two big feet.

 Shouts of the mob behind them left them quiet, stealthily sneaking along the path.  Genevieve absent-mindely wondered how her father was fairing, fighting off the fighters.  She imagined her father, standing at the ready a few feet from the front door as it burst open.  Quickly shaking that thought out of her head, she thought the townspeople.  Everyone knew that they had come for the royals in the town -- the Richardsons, her family.  Oh, they loved her family and would do anything as she would for them, but she still felt remorse for what was happening to them.

Clunks on a wooden dock shook her out of her thoughts.  She focused her eyes on her surroundings and realized that the time has come to escape to Shrewsberry.  The man bowed as the girls' mother helped her into the small boat, and then her sister, and finally herself.  But, nothing moved.  The man hadn't started rowing.

"We are leaving, Fallon," Mother instructed the man, a hint of danger in her voice.

"Sorry, Mistress Nadine, I thought that we were waiting for Master Alan," Fallon apologized, as he began rowing the boat away from shore, away from home.

She gave a curt nod of her head, acknowledging that she had heard his words.  The rhythmic splashing of water calmed the two girls, their heads nodding off as they had wanted to sleep.  Everytime Edith would slump against her shoulder, Genevieve would have to shake her to keep her awake.  The older sister would grip Genevieve's hand reassuringly and in thanks, and it would only be a few minutes time before she began to nod off again.  Sometimes, the roles were reversed, but soon they were both falling asleep.

"Girls, sleep.  It's been a rough night for you too, and it is past your bedtime," her Mother soothed, smiling at them from the other side of the small boat.

The two shrunk down beneath the planks of seats, using their arms as pillows and the other for warmth and comfort in the frigid night.  Soon, under the blanket of stars, they fell asleep, with dreams of their father in their heads.

*AUTHOR'S NOTE*

This is my first time writing in third person, so please forgive me for any mistakes.  I don't think I had any, and the one that I did was caught by a friend of mine.  Well, each chapter is going to need a name, so if you have one, please write it down below in the comments.  Any advice is well- taken, even though I highly doubt people are going to read this.  I just don't know if I should continue it.  If no one's going to read it, what's the point, right?  Well, anyway.  Thanks (:  First like actual story on WATTPAD!