Chapter 3:An Awkward Landing

"Lords and Ladies of the council, your squad has made landfall."

"Good, is there any other news scout?"

"If there is, it can't be good."

"No, there is nothing else."

"Very well, you are dismissed."

The four heroes had indeed paid their fare and had were now inquiring on of the fishermen at the docks.

James had made the most progress, the others were not as lucky, the man Isaac had walked up to just fainted outright, but it could be excused, for Isaac was a good foot over most men, and even elves, who were just as tall as he, were intimidated by his stature.

"Good sir what are you and your companions doing here? You seem a little too well armed to just be on a pleasure trip." One asked, James explained what he could without compromising the more secretive information of their mission.

"I am Sir Drakir, knight of the round of the round table. I would appreciate if you kept it quiet, my comrades and I were attacked by pirates in the city before this one when I gave this information freely." Came James's reply. The fisherman nodded then leaned to the knight's ear.

"To be sure, to be sure, but why arrive so secretly if you are here on Arthur's business?" The man asked in a whisper. Darkelm by now had arrived and did not want this commoner to know too many details about their quest.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but might there be an inn that we can find lodging and food, we have traveled a long way, and it would be nice to rest our weary feet and legs." He interjected, bowing respectfully to James, who simply nodded.

"There is, but you might have a problem getting in." The man said, nodding for a moment. "You see it's the summer festival, and we get travelers from all over with our festivities." James nodded and turned to Arkairial, who had just arrived with Isaac.

"What about the castle? I'm sure the King would let men of our calibur inside." Darkelm asked his voice filled with authority, yet still kind and gentle. The fisherman shook his head and let out a sad sigh.

"Sadly, the king hasn't let anyone in or out besides what few servants they have now." Came the reply, the fisherman looked solemnly at the tall spire that overlooked the town. "I used to work in the place myself that is until they sent all but the kitchen maids and the housekeepers."

"And the guards and soldiers?" Isaac questioned, eyeing the guards patrolling the outer gate.

"The king didn't reduce either of those." The man said, suddenly becoming curious himself.

"This is not normal, if his majesty wanted to reduce the staff, there would be either an increase or a similar decrease of guards, but I'm guessing from your growing curiosity, it's stayed roughly the same." Darkelm said, quietly walking to the outer wall of the castle.

"Thank you for your time, I hope this coin will be a fitting reconciliation for you." James said, placing several silver coins into the man's hand, bowing lowly before he left to follow Darkelm with the others. The four men stood at a large wooden gate that stood several times Isaac's and Darkelm's height.

"You there!" Called Darkelm to the guard above them on the wall.

"What do you want?!?" The gateman said, nodding to the two Soldiers at his sides, who made ready their crossbows and pointed them at the four cloaked men. "State your business." James pulled back his hood and looked the man straight in the face, his blue eyes shining with the authority in his posture and voice.