Getting Cozy

Selena looked at the door as she got into bed. Her boyfriend had been right behind her only a second ago. "Did you get distracted, darling?" He stood in the next room, his tall, lean body at about 6'3" and shoulder length sand colored hair flowing down. Green eyes were fixated on a news report flashing across the dimmed screen of the television.

    "Another mugging," he said quietly. "Darren!" Selena whined a little, "I thought you were coming to bed!" Darren turned off the television in the living room and turned on the other in their room. "Babe, listen to this." She watched as the news continued on. "Darren, you said you were done for the day. Why would you be interested still at this time?"

    "It's important, darling, I need this for work." Selena sighed. "You're always working," she frowned, "when will you have time off for me?" Darren hugged her. "Soon baby, soon." Selena smiled. For once, she believed what he said and curled up to him.

    As she began to sleep, Darren wondered how to make the neighborhood safer. It would take some work, and he knew that, but he wasn't afraid. Selena acted brave, but he knew that these muggings, shootings, and robberies in the neighborhood scared her. They may have lived in a sixth floor apartment, but he would protect her at all costs.