Different

12:00am.

I stared at the strange knots my mother had just put my hair into not too long ago. She said that I'd have to leave them in over night. I sighed and then carefully turned to lay on my back, attempting to not mess up the alien knots. I couldn't sleep. Eight hours until it's time for school, and I can't sleep. I turned the volume on my television up. Maybe watching a little television will do the trick. I scrolled down the channel guide and stopped when I saw Friends. I got cozy and as soon as I was about to fall asleep, then I heard the house phone rang. I heard my mom shuffle out her room, trying to reach the phone in time. I opened my room door quietly, trying to hear about what was going on.

"Hello," My mother picked up the phone. "This is she..." She tapped on the table.

One of the most annoying habits she has when she's nervous...

"Um alright... Tell him that sounds great. Thank you. Alright, bye." My mother hung up the phone is a quiet fashion.

"Mom?" I stepped out my  bedroom's door way.

"Asia. What are you doing up?" My mother frantically turned around.

"I couldn't sleep and as soon I was about to fall asleep, the phone rang." I said.

"I'm sorry about that baby." My mother frowned.

"It's fine mom. Who was that anyway?" I asked.

"J-just someone from the company." She stammered.

"Did something bad happen?" I asked.

"Well-I mean we'll talk about this in the morning. Get some sleep. Just know that everything's going to be fine." My mother gave me a reassuring smile.

"Alright. 'Night." I smiled back.

"Goodnight baby. I love you." My mother gave me a kiss on the forehead and slightly pushed me back into my room.

"Love you too mom." I said before closing my room door and sliding back under my covers.

That was strange.

8:01am

"Asia, come on!" My mother yelled. "Hurry up so we can take your hair down! I don't want you to be late." She stressed.

"Mom! I'm ready, my school's only five minutes away, and it starts at 8:30. We have twenty-nine minutes to take it down." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh are you going to walk today?" My mother asked while taking down the alien knots.

"Yeah..it's just around the block mom." I answered, looking at the curls fall one by one as my mother took the strange twisted balls out.

Once my mother was finished, I sat there in shock. The curls were beautiful! So bouncy and full of volume. My mother smiled, played in my curls once more, and then left the bathroom.

"Alright. Your lunch is on the kitchen counter. Have a good day lovebug! I have some important things to tell you when you get home, so try to make it home early!" I could hear the door slam right after she said that.

"Love you too mom." I giggled.

The walk to school was just around five minutes. Once I got into the building, I threw my backpack in front of my locker and took a breather.

"Long walk?" Amanda laughed while opening her locker.

"Actually no, I'm just really out of shape." I laughed along with her.

"Same here." She continued to laugh.

The laughing ceased and I began putting the stuff I need for my morning classes into my bag. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my hair. I looked up to see who the hand belonged to. Amanda.

"Your hair is so...wild." Amanda said while exploring my hair.

"Um...thanks?" I slowly backed away from her.

"I mean it's wild in a good way, not a bad way. It's pretty." Amanda quickly sensed the awkwardness and quickly replied.

"Thanks." I said as I closed my locker.

That was weird.

-

I tried to tame my hair. It was everywhere. I forgot that my gym class started our session of swimming today. After my friends and I got out the pool, we grabbed the provided gym towels and wrapped them around us.  Mrs. Lynn, our gym teacher, told us we have twenty minutes to get ready. Once I got back into the lock room, I took out my school clothes and went into the stall to change. I didn't bring any hair products with me. I had no comb, no brush, nothing. I sighed and pulled my shirt over my head. Great, now my collars wet. I came out the stall and almost every girl was gone. Almost every girl was gone except the girls like me. They were busy in the mirror trying to fix their hair. I stood next to a girl named Raven.

"Do you need some gel? Or cream? I got Ecostyler and Shea Moisture." She smiled.

"Thanks." I returned the smile and took a bit of her cream.

By the time we all got finished we were ten minutes late to our next class. I ran through the hallway praying that the door was open, my  history teacher wasn't paying attention, and that I wouldn't get in trouble. When I got to the class, the door was locked. I knocked twice, still hoping the class would be loud and the teacher wouldn't be paying attention. One of my classmates opened the door. It was quiet and the teacher was staring right at me.

"You're late. Borderline skipping late."

I sighed