prologue

November, 30th, 1998

"It's nothing that can't be vanished Mrs.Cox but I'm not assuring nor promising anything," Dr.Robinson explained, his voice almost a whisper in the quiet room. It had been chilly lately as December was coming but Anne couldn't care less at the current moment.

"So you're saying, that my son has some kind of panic disorder?!" She boomed loudly. Dr. Robinson stared down at her from his 4 year old prescription containing all the medications Marcel Styles would soon have to take. Anne scoffed in disbelief, her eyes blanking out as she remained sat still. She had simply arrived that day expecting the doctors to assure her it was nothing and that one of her two small sons was completely safe and sound away from harm. Glassy eyes turned into tears as Anne slowly felt herself crumble, her head lowering to her knees as a strong and overpowering feeling of failure over took her. She has failed her son. One of her most precious loves. She had damaged him, broke him. She knew it was her fault, it had to be. Her sobs were broken and ragged as she felt the doctors pitiful hand rub her back, being both friends for quite some time. 

"Anne, speaking from one parent to the other, don't let this get in your way, this is no big drama story and you're all going to be just fine. From what I've seen that little boy of yours is a tough one, my only advice it's to learn how to protect him, don't tell him for now, maybe tell Harry in the future so that he knows what to do, but don't make it too public, I've been around for a while and I've seen how these things work," Dr.Robinson persuaded, he simply soothed her and Anne then relaxed, placing her back against the blue chair. Wiping her eyes with her finger she looked up at the doctor with red and restless eyes. 

"I- I broke him Dan, I did, it's all my fault and now my baby boy will have to go through so much. He will be picked on at school, he will be too perfect for the bad boys and mostly I won't be able to protect him forever and neither will Harry, I-I'm just.... I'm scared," Anne whispered as she heard both of her sons laughing hysterically with some toy a nurse had handed them when she had walked in, never expecting the worse. Anne looked sadly out the buildings window and thought for a while before remembering she must have been clogging up Dr. Robinson's next patients. Standing up she grabbed her bag and offered Dan a hug before walking out of the office to meet Harry and Marcel outside. They both smiled up at her but then frowned when noticed she was upset. 

"momma are you alright?" Asked Marcel as he and his brother stood up and walked over to her, their curls as always never messier.

"Everything's fine boys don't worry, now how about we go get some ice cream, yeah?"

_____________________

June, 27th, 2005 

"Hey boys how was your day?" Anne asked as she heard the flat's door open and close with a sharp force. 

"Mom, come quick, it's Marcel," Harry's 11 years old voice called out from the door. Anne felt the color and heat drain from her face, expecting the worse. 

"What's wrong!?" She bellowed and she sprinted towards the door. But the sight in front of her smashed her heart terribly. 

"What happened! Harry!?" Anne repeated as she looked down at Marcel who was being carried by his identical brother. 

"I-I'm sorry! It wasn't my intention, I left him alone for a minute to grab my notebook in my locker and when I came back he was crying in the parking lot and was all bloody!" Harry whimpered as he looked down at Marcel who sported a split lip and a solid black bruise on his cheek along with a ripped shirt. Anne covered her mouth in horror but shook her head when Harry kept on apologizing. 

"I-it's not your fault, it's those bastards," She exclaimed at the thin air, her words coming short. 

"Ok, I'll need you to take him to his room and I'll be up in no time. Marcel baby, you'll be ok." Anne whispered softly and afterwards grabbed a nearby red kit and headed for his room.

-

It wasn't always like this. It had started recently when they had turned 11 and their sister went to an all girls school not too far away from theirs. Gemma loved them unconditionally and every time she came back from school she always loved reading or telling stories to her younger brothers. It broke her though. To see Marcel so defenseless and weak. He was fragile and small and she some times couldn't bear to see him that way. 

 But Gemma knew that it was going to be quite the adventure for Marcel and Harry, she wasn't sure if she was ready to see it.