February 8, Monday

Dear Diana,

   I met a boy.

I was standing at the bus stop after school and waiting with about fifteen other people, when I felt someone tap me on the shoulder. Hi, he said, pardon me if this sounds weird, but I really like your hair. Can I touch it? 

I was suspicious at first. What if it was a trick?

 But his eyes didn't hold any secret malice, so I allowed him to run his fingers through my ponytail.

Your hair is so soft, he said. My name is Dylan by the way. We have History together. You're Ana, right?

When I nodded, he smiled and I saw how white his teeth were.

The bus came just then and we boarded together. He was really easy to talk to. After learning that I liked to read, he gave me a book he'd been carrying in his bag. 'The Steel Note'.

He  said it was a thriller and one of his favourites. Before he got off, he invited me to visit the Chess Club the next day after school. I agreed before I had really thought about it. What will Georgina and Lex think when they find out I have completely ditched their after school shopping plans for a boy?

They'll get over it. I'm sick and tired of them making snide remarks about my lack of financial surplus. I never enjoyed afternoons with them anyway. It's time for a change.

The Steel Note looks interesting where it lies on my bed.