Part 2

“That’s her,” Jack said, we were sitting on a park bench at 7pm on the 3rd November watching the fifth house belonging to a Sarah Johnson; the women walking home matched the picture from our folders. 

“Are you sure about this?” I whispered but there was no way that she could hear us, Jack just looked at me, and I could tell he was getting annoyed. For the past few days I’ve been changing my mind about this killing. Taking a deep breathe I shout out my conscience and focused on what really mattered, we promised we’d stick together, I had agreed to do this, now I just have to follow through. 

“So what? We just ring the door bell an barge inside?” Jack said intently watching the roads for any sign of activity, it was still light here but traffic was slow, hardly any cars came down this road. 

“Sounds fine to me, but we should wait for dark, just incase,” he nodded,

“What if she leaves again? I don’t want to sit her all night, the folder says she dies today, we should just get it over with,” he had a point.  Felt the same nagging ache that this was wrong but I reminded myself I’ve grown up killing, who ever she is, there’s a reason she has to die today. If I knew what I know I would feel better, strange how murder seem different when its at someone’s house rather than in school. 

“Now?” I asked, thinking of the sharp flat knife stuck in my belt, another gift from the folder.

“Now.” He replied. We stood up and walked straight for the black door, number 33, home of Sarah Johnson. I couldn’t look at Jack as we climbed the stone steps to her house, he rang the doorbell; though he tried to hide it I knew he felt a little nervous, this was different no matter how many times we told ourselves it wasn’t. The door swung open,

“I knew you would come eventually,” the woman smiled at us, but her eyes was so sad, “please come inside, id rather die out of the cold,” she turned and walk inside leaving Jackson and I completely baffled. Shrugging at each other we walked inside, Jack closed the door firmly behind us. 

“Now, please, have some tea; good for the soul,” Sarah almost look mischievous and I eyed the tea suspiciously, “No? Well all right, but it was worth a try, I won’t have anyone say I didn’t try and live” she sat down on her cream leather couch and looked at us expectantly. I pulled my knife out, the silver shined gold under her warm lights. She eyed the knife as one would a chained dog, nervous but almost reassured. 

“You new we were coming?” I had to ask, Jack gave me don’t-ask-questions-stupid look but I ignored him and he glowered suspiciously at the calm woman. 

“Of course? You’ve been picking us off in order, I knew I would be next.” She sounded bored, and a little sad but in a reserved way; it was totally freaking me out. 

“Us?” this got me another glare from Jack, 

“Oh, tell me I’m not your first? How very insulting, they sent me children? Straight from the school as well, do you even know why you’re going to kill me? Do you even know what you are?” apparently we did not, and our blank looks sent the woman into a fit of giggles. “Well, since your clearly so confused I suggest you kill me quickly, I’ve always wanted to die with a smile,” she grinned. Fully freak out now I barely hesitated, I flicked the knife out of my hand and it slashed straight across her throat, landing with a thud in the armrest. The resulting silence was creepy. 

“Well,” Jackson said, collecting the knife nervously from the side of the seat, he avoided touching her blood, “That was weird,” he almost made me smile, but I was to confused to be amused. 

“What was she on about?” I couldn’t help being relieved she was dead; I hated people who knew more than me, 

“No idea, glad you killed her though, she was starting to give me the creeps,” we stood staring at her corpse then, watching the blood flow down her ruined cream couch. I couldn’t stop myself hoping she did deserve to die; it unnerved me how easy I found it; this definitely wasn’t like killing at school.  Her eyes were strange, the looked almost yellow, and very alive. I felt myself shiver and looked away. 

“We should go, do you think maybe we should move her?” I looked at her crumpled body, the position was so unnatural, she sat up staring at her floor, made her look almost alive. 

“Maybe lie her down, she’s creepy like this;” Jackson nodded an inching forward placed a hand awkwardly on the dead woman’s shoulder. Smoke immediately began to pour from wear he touched her. Whipping his hand back Jackson came back and stood next to me as Sarah Johnson turned to smoke and dust. 

Lisa

My skin felt like it was burning. I was sweating like mad, gasping as I did. ripping the bed covers off myself I stood up and flung my head out the window. The cool night air calmed me; its reassuring touch filled me with each breath. The soul stone on my table shined, another member of my family come to watch as I lose everything. We all knew they were going to kill Sarah next, they were so predictable, this time it was stronger though. I could see her, the girl who slit my cousins throat. Tall with an athletic build, she looked no more than my age, 17, but every bit the image of a hunter. Long brown hair, landing neatly in the small of her back, it flowed around her face as she spoke. Big shining blue eyes, no compassion in them, so deep and thoughtful, trained only to kill. New recruits. They only bring new ones in if there old ones die. They must be trying to bring down another of the families, we were always the weakest, the easiest target; the others will be harder to hunt; none of them vowed never to harm. I felt myself smirk imagining this new hunter trying to fight her the Stranson family. My mobile buzzed from my bedside table, I checked the name flashing up at me, Carla. 

“Lisa! Thank god your ok, Sarah said she was visiting you, I told her she was foolish. I told her to stay hidden,” The sweet voice fell in loud sobs and I did my best to comfort her, 

“I am find, and so is the stone, but the others, are they well? Something has changed, I need to speak with our family,” and the others I thought, but we Johnsons never did get along with the others, it was best to reassure them I can handle it before mention any kind of meeting. 

“Of course, right away, we can have most of the members in America their in a week latest, the others will just have to use webcam, unless you’ve changed your mind?” she sounded hopefully, wanting to see her daughter I suspected, 

“No, no flights, not until we no for sure it’s safe; they can’t no where all of us are, their safer, she’s safer, out of the country,” after a few sniffs and tears for our lost cousin Carla agreed to organize a meeting. I needed to clear my mind, prepare for the questions. I need to know who this new hunter is, and why I had such a strong picture of her. The image of my cousin’s blood pouring out of her, all the life, that power, just washing away; my eyes prickled. Taking a deep breath I centered myself, leaders do not cry, Johnson’s do not cry.