Chapter One

A sharp snap of wood against chalkboard startled a brown eyed Junior out of his slumped over doze.

"Mr. Fitch, if you could please wipe that drool from your chin and pay attention." Snapped Mr. Long

Jay Fitch lifted his hand from where it lay on his desk. He wiped his face with the back of it, feeling the small line of slime from the corner of his lip. The exhausted student propped an elbow on his cold desk. His cheek rested on the warm flesh of his palm as the short, plump, 50 or so man continued his lecture on cell reproduction and division.

How can one man talk about bacteria for 50 minutes straight? He questioned himself in thought.

The crisp ring of the bell sounded like savior, Mr. Long dismissing the class with a wave of his hand and a reminder of the homework due tomorrow. The rambunctious Junior and senior football players in front of Jay shuffled their notebooks and headed towards the door that led out into the hall, piling out of the small classroom.

After the chaos of the rowdy meat-heads, Jay heaved his dark Jan sportbackpack to a shoulder. He stood and walked out of the classroom and into the buzzing halls of Mouran high school. He turned left towards the 200 Corridor . The silver and blue tiles reflected the fluorescent  lights from above.

The 200 Corridor was pretty quiet, only 20 or so students scattered along the gloomy hall. He stared absently at a 9th grade basketball player. The tall freshmen closed his locker and walked away down the hall. Jay stared back at where the boy had been. What he hadn't seen before must of been standing behind him. Facing her locker was a green eyed, blonde haired, Kelly. She looked up from her locker and turned her head towards him.

A smile danced across Jay's face as he walked towards her. He saw the small dimples in her cheeks as she bit her lip with a smile. She brushed a strand of hair out of her face, tucking it behind her ear.

Watching Kelly close her locker Jay stopped a few feet away, Kelly's eyes watching him. She gave him an affectionate arm punch. "Hey slugger." He greeted as he rolled with her playfully weak fist.

Her eyebrows furrowed together. "Don't call me that." She whined with sarcasm.

Jay held his hands up in surrender. "Whatever you say," He paused. "Slugger."

She rolled her eyes and they started walking down the hall towards lunch.

Jay and Kelly had been friends for as long as either could remember. But since Junior high Jay had begun to notice how many friends Kelly had pulled in. She was like the sun, pulling in beautiful planets to fill in the empty spaces of her solar system. He had explained this to her and she had smiled and said, "Your my Saturn." He had laughed at the joke. Of course he was, he was the only one of her friend to wear mutiple rings on his fingers.

An all to familiar voice sounded behind the two. Jay turned around, looking at Blake, his older and football Jersey wearing brother.

"There's my girlfriend." Kelly smiled and pranced towards him, Blake's arms going around her in hug as he kissed the top of her hair. Thank the Almighty being upstairs that Juniors and Seniors had different lunches.

Kelly placed a small peck on Blake's cheek and smiled up at him. "I'll see you after school." She told him, the two ending their hug. Kelly caught up with Jay and gave a cheeky smile. Jay laughed and looked back at his brother. "See you around Blake." His voice was sharp, colder than he had meant for it to sound.