Chapter 9

Chapter 9

--------------------

The Moonlight Festival. Where the glowing lanterns were strung above the cobblestoned path and the bustling stalls attracted as many people as possible. And of course, the moon itself, simply sitting in the night sky as it watched over the whole event.

My entire body was overflowing with giddiness as my head turned in all directions, trying to absorb everything in one look. Although I was the one who wanted to come to the festival the most, I never thought that I would be this excited and happy. Maybe it was the moon's fault for making my head spin in enthusiasm.

A small hand tugged on my sleeve, breaking me from my thoughts. Pulling my gaze away from an interesting looking stall, I turned to look at an impatient Yohee. Ju-dong was also waiting on the stone path.

"Soah, hurry up!" She urged me. "We're going to leave you if you keep stopping at every spot!"

"Sorry! Don't worry I'll try to restrain myself."

I picked up the pace until I caught up with Yohee and Ju-dong, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw two figures in the dim lantern light. One of them was holding a familiar smoke pipe, letting me know immediately that it was Mura. However, I wasn't able to discern the other person in her vicinity. Their face was covered by an intricately crafted mask.

Before I could think about the person's identity any further, I was stopped by the presence of Hoo-ye.

"Good evening, Soah." Hoo-ye greeted me with a slight bow of his head.

"Oh, Hoo-ye." I said mildly surprised. "It's good to see you. Is there something you need?"

"Actually," Hoo-ye began to pull something out of his cloak, "I wanted to give you something. Will you give me your hand?"

I extended my right hand to him, my palm turned up. Then I felt a cool, curved object as Hoo-ye placed it in my hand.

"A comb?" I observed the beautiful flowers etched into the material and traced the curved edge.

"Sorry, but it is a late welcome gift," Hoo-ye said.

"Thank you," I said sincerely, touched by his gift.

"I shall take my leave now." He bowed and quickly left the area, leaving me to silently admire the comb's detailed craftsmanship.

He was extremely formal as usual to my dismay. It was hard enough for me to get him to stop using honorifics.

I still smiled despite myself and placed the comb in my pocket, debating about whether I should wear it or just keep it as a decorative piece in my room.

As I placed the comb into my pocket, I felt a warm breath stir my hair, and by some inherent instinct I didn't know I had, I spun on my heel and shoved whatever living thing in my way. Just as I was about to pull my hands away, two strong hands grabbed them both in the air and stopped them midway.

"Whoa! Easy there!" A familiar voice exclaimed, seeming to be utterly surprised at what just occurred.

When I finally searched the somewhat stranger's face, I realized that it was Mui in front of me, and he still didn't let go of my hands.

"Sorry," I said, although I knew I wasn't. His iron grip was too strong for me as I helplessly tried to pull my hands away. "I just don't appreciate creeps breathing down my neck like that," I said lightly.

Clearly irked by my bold statement, he finally let go and rubbed his head in exasperation.

"Geez, can you get any colder?" He sighed. "Why not open up a little?"