Chapter 10

Chapter 10

--------------------

"Tae El Jin, make sure she doesn't even think about moving from that bed, alright?"

"Of course. I would never let an injured patient harm herself further." He responded reassuringly.

"Hey," I cut in. "Stop doing that thing as if I'm not here."

After refusing Mui's declaration to carry me hundreds of times, we finally managed to reach Tae El Jin's clinic but with me almost passing out due to blood loss more than once. I couldn't count the number of times Mui was about to sweep me from under my feet and just take me to the doctor himself. But I managed to stand my ground as I limped my way to the clinic and swatted his hand away if they ever came near my legs.

Tae El Jin efficiently dressed my wound with bandages and advised me how to dress it myself if he wasn't around. He also taught me how to clean it correctly whenever I needed to take a bath. I listened intently to his instructions, nodding my head in assurance to respond to Tae El Jin and to let Mui know that I wouldn't do anything reckless.

"Well, I think you're all set. We'll take our leave now." The Doctor signaled for Mui to leave, but it seemed like he wasn't even thinking about doing that.

"What? Oh, I'm not leaving." Mui announced.

"We should give her some space. A lot has happened today, and it looks like she wants to be alone to sleep." Tae El Jin noted.

He was right. I already pulled the covers to my chin and rested my head on the pillow, my eyes already starting to flutter to sleep.

"Well, I'll stay and take care of her," Mui added.

"Absolutely not," I immediately said, shutting him down completely.

Clearly seeing that was I resolved in my decision, Mui resigned and reluctantly left my room with Tae El Jin.

"Finally," I yawned. "A moment... of... peace."

And I let myself sink into darkness.

--------------------

Who is it?

I heard the rustling of the covers and felt them being pulled up over my shoulders again.

Oh yeah. Whenever I sleep, I always kick them off. Who is...?

I slowly opened my eyes heavy with sleep and looked for whatever that was there. Then my half-lidded eyes rested on a small, blurry figure.

Oh, it's him

"Habaek, is that you?" My weak voice asked.

"Yeah, it's me." He was lounging on the chair next to my bed, his head resting on his hand. "Did you have fun at the Moon Festival?"

"Yeah... it was... super fun." I mumbled, my mind still not fully awake. "Oh yeah... I got a comb... and Mui was there... and there was this... creepy man..."

"I heard you got hurt. Are you alright?" Habaek asked, his voice tinged with concern.

"Mhm... Mui... helped me... back to Tae El Jin..." I rambled on. "Haha... you should have... seen his face."

"Wait, what do you mean?" Habaek leaned in to listen intently.

"But I felt... bad... made him worry..."

"Do you hate Mui?" Habaek asked me suddenly. It was a strange question. Why would he care about how I felt about Mui?

But everything felt like a dream, as if it wasn't even real. Objects looked out of proportion and time seemed as if it was out of balance.

I wasn't bothered by his question and answered honestly.

"No... of course... not." I said. "He's actually... really nice... he... protected me."

Habaek's eyes widened at my declaration.

"I actually... really like... him. I hope we can... be good... friends."

His eyes darkened, and his expression changed after I said that.

"Just friends... huh." He mused. "Really, you make me have to try so hard."

"What do... you mean?" I asked, not being able to comprehend his words.

"Just go back to sleep, Soah." Habaek said soothingly. "And when you wake up, you'll be happy again. You won't get hurt anymore."

"Hurt?" I asked, but I never heard an answer when my eyes eventually fluttered to a close.

--------------------

I'm scared.

I don't want to open my eyes.

If I do, I'll lose something important, but...

What was important to me?

I don't remember. I can't remember.

Soah, open your eyes.

No! I'll forget it!

Forget what? There was nothing you needed to remember.

But there was something there, something special.

If I open my eyes I'll lose it.

It's in my hands. And it's slipping away.

I can't lose it!

When you wake up you'll get it, that important thing you wanted.

No, it's something different. It's not the same.

Time to wake up. Good bye.

No, don't go.

Don't leave me!

--------------------