Ultraviolence

Chapter 5: Ultraviolence

Natsumi walked down the long corridor of the upper level in her uncle, Hitoshi's, restaurant. She stopped to touch one of the scrolls of the walls longingly, letting the memories of the art pieces captivate her mind. This one, I remember, belonged to Mama. She let her fingers roll over the raised kanji, and remembered being fascinated with them as a child. "They tell a story of our family's history," her mother told her, "and they're very important to our legacy. Since my brother had no children of his own, it was passed down to me. One day, my dear Natsumi, it will belong to you." Natsumi clenched her fists at the memory, barricading the emotions that threatened to flow out of her. No, not yet. The time for that will be soon, but not yet.

When Hisoka told her that he would kill the strongest person he knew, she wasn't fully expecting him to bring her here to Goldlink. He looked at her the entire train ride with a mischievous twinkle in his eye, like a gift giver who couldn't wait to unveil the surprise. Natsumi didn't let herself convey any emotion towards his glares, rather, she had her own secrets in mind...

"Wait for my cue, will you?" he had told her upon entering the restaurant. "I will release all my aura at once, and that's how you will know that you can come in." She nodded to him, interested in these events that would unfold. He believed that she didn't know this place, due to the information that she had given him as a child. He believed that she didn't recognize Yukiro, and the twang of emotion that filled her heart as she watched Hisoka rip his head off. No, he didn't believe that the artwork that adorned the restaurant's walls had any significance to her at all. No, he is still a person who knows nothing about something.

Hisoka's aura interrupted her thoughts. She looked in the direction of the door , anticipating what lie behind it. It is time. It is time for everything to come full circle.

Natsumi opened the heavy wooden doors and immediately saw Hitoshi pinned to the wall with playing cards. She smiled discreetly, appreciating Hisoka's creativity. Hitoshi looked afraid, and seeing this woman in front of him made his eyes widen. Hisoka stared at Natsumi with a playful grin. I'm sure he is very pleased with himself.

Hitoshi looked at the woman in front of him. Those icy blue eyes, that jet black hair, the face of someone he used to know, all hit his memories hard.

"I-I know you," he said, almost in a dream like state. "You look just like her."

Natsumi scoffed. "Her has a name. Don't dishonor her by pretending otherwise."

"Natsumi. You're a woman now. Its...it's been so long...."

Natsumi cut him off and looked at Hisoka. "So, are you proud of yourself? I'm sure this is what you meant when you said you would kill the strongest person that you know and make me want to fight you, right?"

Hisoka smiled deviously. "A pretty face and smarts to match. Nothing gets past you, my dear."

Natsumi chuckled and hung her head, closing her eyes. "I haven't seen my uncle since I was seven years old. I never thought that I would see him again, and I spent my entire life training and hoping for this moment. And now that I am here, I must say....thank you, Hisoka."

Hisoka laughed. "Thank you? You're going to thank me for murdering the only family you have left? Why, you're more cruel than I am, Natsumi."

"You don't understand, apparently." She lifted her head and looked at Hitoshi with a deadly gaze. "Perhaps you can explain, dear uncle."

Hitoshi dropped his head to the side, not meeting Natsumi's gaze. "I thought I told you to kill me clown."

Hisoka exchanged glances back and forth between the two, clearly confused at the chain of events that began to unravel. This...this is not what I was expecting her reaction to be.