one

Calm down, Dan. Every student has exams. Just study, you'll be okay. Stop freaking out. It's just a test; not even the final exams.

I walked into the familiar store, the bell chiming cheerfully as the door swung open. The scent of cake and fresh pastries filled my nose, causing me to take a deep breath.

Don't stress, it'll just make things worse.

I went to my regular seat, in the corner and sat my books down. I grabbed my wallet and walked up to the counter, examining the decorative frosting that lathered the carb filled delights.

I looked up hopefully as I waited for Marge to come and ask if I want the usual or to try something new today. I waited patiently, I never used the bell; she would get to me when she had the chance.

I was surprised when a boy with black hair popped around the corner, and approached me, placing his hands on the glass counter.

"Hi, welcome to Cakes & Bakes, how are you?"

"Uh good. Where's Marge?" I asked.

"She's not going to be out here anymore. Since she hired me, she can be in the kitchen, baking." He paused, tilting his head slightly. "So, what will you be having today?"

"One chocolate chip cookie and a coffee please."

"How would you like your coffee?"

"Two spoons of sugar and lots of cream." He nodded and went to make the drink. I gathered my change and placed it on the counter. He came back with a cup of coffee and a cookie wrapped in parchment.

He smiled and I returned the gesture, grabbing my items and walking over to the table. I sipped on my coffee, glancing at the boy leaning against the counter periodically. He was staring off into space, his blue eyes glimmering.

I coughed before turning my focus to my books. Studying was hard for me, but I kept thinking about the material, hoping for a miracle.