The Date

This book is dedicated to my pretty special family, friends and editors.

PRETTY SPECIAL WOMAN

The Date

Her name was one of the few things her parents agreed upon.  That and the bottle of vodka they drank the night she was conceived. Her mother rarely missed an episode of “I Love Lucy”.  She adored Lucy’s neighbor. Her dear dad memorized every song lyric to “Gypsy“ and worshipped Ms. Merman.  So Ethel it was and is. Mimi advised that she not use her real name in business – for security purposes, of course. But Ethel Finklestein would not consider it anyway.  Who, at her age, goes out into the world with such a name? She did not ponder an alias for very long. After all, since every call girl mocked, loved, hated and claimed “Pretty Woman”, Ethel amusingly chose its main character, Vivian.  Amusing, of course, only to her.

Earlier that day, before she left for campus, Mimi informed her of the date that evening. Seven o’clock at Gary’s Bistro on Walnut Street. With palm pilots everywhere these days, most would automatically enter the information there. Ethel pulled out her Snoopy planner and wrote it down. Tonight‘s engagement would constitute her second official date. Fifty bucks just to show up and be treated to dinner and drinks. Anything beyond canned Mac and cheese was a plus. And anything beyond the meal would be negotiated between the two of them. This kept Mimi’s business legal. Mimi briefed her on the process of securing a safe, solid and lucrative deal. Actually, in the past few weeks, Mimi briefed her on everything.  Ethel poured her heart out to Mimi while Mimi revealed little about her own background.

A first impression of a crusty, astute businesswoman gave way in small increments to a sympathetic nurturer.  Yet she masterfully maintained a distance between herself and employees. She educated Ethel that this also works well in dealing with clients. Mimi spent hours grooming this naïve young girl. What to wear, what to say, what not to say, what to expect – she’d mentored novices before. And she’d marketed them too, each with their own distinctive characteristics. Traditional and conservative described Vivian, Mimi assured her. Others were adventuresome, playful, spontaneous. Ethel clearly wanted nothing kinky. Currently, Ethel was the only employee actually living in Mimi’s house. Some just stopped in from time to time. Others used the home as a pick-up point while others utilized the facility for part or all of the date. She observed little of this, opting to spend most of her time studying in her room.

Ethel made a quick stop at the thrift shop on her way home from class. Thinking of Mimi’s house as her home still disturbed her. But at this point, choices did not exist. She spent a few dollars on a glittery scarf with sparkly second-hand high heels and a clutch. Mimi suggested dressing flashy but not sleazy. With so little money, Ethel chose a basic black skirt and sleeveless top which she accessorized with her new purchases. At a mere five foot two, the shoes and hair piled on top of her head provided a few more much needed inches.  With one last quick glimpse in the mirror, she was off.

She walked the two blocks to the bus stop. Mimi’s instructions repeated in her mind. She transferred to the el which soon descended below ground as it neared the outskirts of Center City. Most urban areas were designated with the title of “downtown”. Why Philadelphia’s metropolitan hub had such a distinctive moniker became a puzzler to her during the cross country trip with Clark. Each time when they drove into a new town and Ethel would make reference to Center City, Clark pointed out her small error. This was among the million wonderful things she learned that summer.

 He, tonight’s date, claimed to be a thirty-something businessman – white, medium build - looking for a dinner date. His name?  Edward. Classic. It was the name of the Richard Gere character in “Pretty Woman” that played opposite Julia Roberts.  Ethel fidgeted with her fingernails. Mimi suggested pink instead of red. Cheap polish chipped so easily.  She emerged from the subway. The early summer sun still shone. The uncomfortable shoes caused her to walk awkwardly. Only three blocks to the restaurant. She entered Gary’s Bistro and disappeared into the ladies room.