Homer

Homer

Another day, another adventure from the itinerary. This time, the two would travel a few hours west then south on the Sterling Highway until the road ended in the legendary city of Homer. The brochures boasted that it was the Halibut capital of the world. The plan was to take a half-day fishing charter on picturesque Kachemak Bay with hopes of landing a famous “barn door” halibut. As advised, they purchased their fishing licenses and a Jackpot Halibut Derby ticket, whatever that was. Ethel advised Edward to join her in taking a sea sickness pill, a decision he did not regret upon witnessing several afflicted tourist fishermen.

The captain claimed to have knowledge of a “hot hole” not too terribly far away. On the trip out, they enjoyed the scenery and talking to others on board. Edward observed Ethel casually and comfortably chatting and laughing with two elderly black men. She seemed genuinely at ease with just about anyone. For a brief moment, Edward imagined Blair in her place. No, the stretch was too great.

They learned that herring and octopus were baits of choice. The captain also explained the significance of the lottery ticket game. Catch a tagged fish and win various amounts of cash. Edward caught several small untagged ones which he threw back. They also were thrilled to sight a gam of humpback whales. At long last, it was Ethel who landed a respectable sized halibut with a tag to boot. The ticket awarded her a whopping two hundred dollars, giving cause for all aboard to celebrate. And just before the captain called it a day, Edward too pulled in a small but salvageable untagged catch.

Back on land, they treated themselves to a king crab lunch. They strolled hand in hand along the “spit”, a six mile long skinny stretch of land with dozens of funky shops and restaurants on either side of the singular road. Edward insisted on stopping in nearly all of them in search of the perfect gift for Artie and Indira’s baby. While walking, Edward’s cell phone rang several times. He still insisted on answering only for the parents-to-be or his mother. So when he looked at the caller ID and stuffed the phone back into his pocket, Ethel’s curiosity was challenged. They stopped for ice cream and the phone rang again. This time, Ethel found the courage to ask who kept calling him.

“Blair,” he answered grimly. It was the same name from the night he was in the shower.

“So, who’s Blair?” she innocently inquired.

“How ‘bout I tell you on the drive back.”

The story, however, had to be postponed for an hour when Ethel spotted a stranded motorist on the side of the road. As she slowed, Edward tactfully suggested not stopping.

“Vivian, the ice pack might be thawing and the fish will go bad.”

“It’ll be fine,” she assured him.

“I’m sure she’s already called for help.”

“And I’m sure she has a fully charged cell phone and a signal,” Ethel retorted with a slight suggestion of sarcasm. “You know how everyone complains of spotty cell phone service out here. We just can’t pass her by.”

Without waiting for his permission, Ethel pulled up behind the middle-aged Hispanic-looking woman. As she approached their car, the woman’s look of despair melted into that of relief.

“Thank you for stopping,” she gushed as the two got out of the car. “I called for help but they said it would be at least another hour. I just spent the whole day in court and I’m dog tired.”

“Court?” they both asked in unison. Had they stopped for a criminal?

“I’m an attorney, a public defender. They never taught us how to change tires in law school.”