Chapter 6: Hollow

"Bring the violence

It's significant
To the life
Can you feel it?"
-Disturbed "Violence Fetish"

Blades flashed and clanged as the opponents repelled from one another. Nina took a swing at Hinamori who quickly dodged, spun, and then parried with Tobiume. The two had been at it most of the morning in the privacy of the Fifth Division forest rather than the usual training grounds to ensure that there were no distractions on Hinamori's part from other division members.

Nina blocked with Kiyohime, nailing a good hit on Hinamori's zanpakuto. Hinamori was young – almost too young to be a lieutenant – but she was far more formidable than she looked. And, of course, the lieutenant could say the same for Nina as she drove her opponent back. The force of the blow made her stop and shake out her hand.

"That was a hard hit, Seito-san," Momo remarked. "It kind of hurt."

"I didn't mean to, Lieutenant," Nina responded.

Momo smiled. "It's fine. I've had worse, and really, I was hoping you'd be a little more forceful with me. Even Captain Aizen tends to be too gentle on the rare occasion that he spars with me."

Nina sheathed Kiyohime. "I can imagine that Captain Aizen is a strong man, Lieutenant. He might be afraid he will inadvertently harm you."

Momo put away her own weapon. "I think that's what it is, too, but he's getting better about that." She paused. "And you don't have to be so formal with me, Seito-san. Please just call me Hinamori-san."

Nina blushed. "Um...I'm not certain I feel comfortable with that since you are my senior officer."

"But 'Lieutenant' is not my name." She smiled. "So, please, I insist."

Nina nodded and ventured a small smile. "I think I can manage at least that. And thank you for inviting me to train with you today, Hinamori-san."

The other girl smiled brightly, her big blue eyes lighting up with a cheerful sincerity. "Ah, it's not a problem. I've been anxious to get to know you more since your promotion. It's so wonderful that we both draw! I do illustrations for the Seireitei Times, and I'd love to have you help me with some."

"I would enjoy that very much. Let me know when you're working on some new ones and I'll provide some art supplies." Nina glanced up through the canopy of trees toward the sun. "Don't you have to be back at the office to help Captain Aizen?"

Hinamori's eyes grew wide. "Wah! I almost forgot! I'll see you later, Seito-san!"

Nina watched Hinamori rush off before wandering off into the forest on her own with her messenger bag full of art supplies and, of course, her trusty sketchbook. She was off today, and Nina wanted to take full advantage of the opportunity to spend her afternoon drawing out in the woods. She hoped that if she hid out in the branches of a tree long enough, she could observe some animals and draw them in blissful solitude.

She finally settled in the perfect tree that was just great for watching an open clearing. Nina sat for hours sketching in her book, having concealed her reiryoku so that no living thing, animal or person, could detect her. This was her time, a time where she wanted nothing to do with the outside world, where she simply wanted to draw and be completely to herself.

She drew for hours on one drawing as a bird had landed in front of her, and with her photographic memory, she captured it before it flew away to somewhere in the upper branches of her tree. She was shading the leaves when suddenly, the hairs on the back of her neck stood.