Chapter 1

Ugh. School. Why. Do. I. Have. To. Go. To. School

Okay, let's be real. I like school. Science is my favourite subject, specifically Chemistry. (Have you every poured methanol into a huge water container and lit the space near the opening? Don't do it you'll freak, but something to think about.) I also enjoy exploring other worlds and galaxies through reading. (Fun fact, I read The Hunger Games trilogy in 2 days aka I didn't sleep for 48 hours.) But here's the thing about school that I don't like: 1. Classmates, like why are you all so rude and cocky? 2. Classrooms, okay the school seriously need to invest money on Lysol, it smells yuck 3. Teachers, I didn't raise my hand because I didn't want to answer! And lastly, 4. the school bus, oh the horror of violent, loud teenagers inside a huge, rusty school bus.

Oh yikes, sorry for being rude. I would like to introduce myself. Hello, I'm Nadine. Nadine Eunice Lustre. I am 2 years away from being a legal adult, which basically means my mother will not have the right to control my life when I reach 18. (Horay!) I don't hate my mom it's just that you see, I was born in Canada. Maple syrup, hockey pucks, beavers, I'm used to the Canadian life. Just recently though, the company my mom worked for ran out of business. She tried to search for job openings in Canada that paid a decent amount of money to support both of us, yet she wasn't very lucky. She said she has no choice but to bring both of us home to the Philippines. I was strongly against the decision and even proposed that I work part time in McDonalds but she said, "Anak naman, kailangan mo i-prioritize yung studies mo. Alam ko naman na matalino ka na bata at kayang -kaya mong magtrabaho habang nagaaral, pero hindi mo kasi responsibilidad to." I was furious. The only home country that I knew of for 16 years is Canada. My friends are in Canada, my life as well. In the end, it was her choice, after all I am underage. Imagine moving into a whole different setting. No snow, no pine needles scattered all around, no hockey. It's like entering a portal that led to a different dimension.

It's not the first day of school, no. It's actually already mid-September. Most of the times, cumulonimbus clouds gathered in the sky, bringing heavy rainfall to the land that caused landslides to occur on mountains. (Add Meteorology to the list of Sciences that I love.) It's just that, I'm still not used to the school routine here, even though I've been going to school for a month and a half now. Did you know school in the Philippines start at seven am? I thought eight am was too early in Canada, damn. I wake up to the sound of chickens in our backyard, took a quick bath and proceeded downstairs to eat breakfast.

"Magandang umaga, anak," my mom greeted with a mile-long smile. "Kain ka na. Paborito mo oh, chicken adobo." 

"Naks naman, chicken adobo talaga for breakfast ah. Sige, kakain na nga, mapilit ka eh,"  I joked.

"Oo nga pala anak, may dumating na mail, nasa ibabaw ng kabinet, para daw yun sayo eh. May alam ka doon?" My eyes dilated and my emotions were constantly shifting from worry to excitement.

About a month ago, I had a talk with my science teacher, Mrs. Reyes. She said that I am her best student. My leadership skills, academic and athletic achievements serve as evidences that I am worthy to join in Semester at Sea. Semester at Sea is a program funded by the University of Virginia where selected students from all over the world get the opportunity to study abroad on a cruise ship. Mrs. Reyes said that if I want, she can help me apply for the program. This is massive for me! Do you understand how great it would be if I got in? I will not just miss school, I will also learn stuff from different groups of people with different beliefs and values! I gladly took the offer of course. A week after, I was able to complete the application package with the help of Mrs. Reyes.

I sprinted to get the envelope on top of the cabinet. This letter on my hand will determine whether I am a complete failure or I am chosen to participate. I sniffed the sweet scent of Virginia from the envelope. I breathed heavily before opening the mail.

Dear Ms. Nadine Eunice Lustre,

We are glad to announce that you have been chosen to take part in Semester at Sea! We hope you'll learn and at the same time enjoy while in Semester at Sea! See you in October 2nd!

University of Virginia

Oh my goodness. I . got . in . I started screaming and jumping and hugging my mom while kissing the envelope.

"Ma, nakapasok po ako sa Semester at Sea! Yung sinabi ko po sa inyo na studying on cruise?" I smiled widely as tears fell from my eyes.

"May lahing Einstein kaya tayo noh! Pareha nang pag nagagalit ang ulo mo, daig pa ang E = mc 2!" My mom and I laughed so hard. "Proud na proud ako sa iyo, anak. Pagbutihin mo talaga until makatapos ka ha?"

I gently hit the side of her body with my elbow and hugged her tight."Eh ginagawa ko naman po talaga to para sa ating dalawa ma eh. Hindi susuko si Darna!" I imitated Darna's pose, still laughing.

"Nads, wag mong kalimutan may pasok ka pa! 6:30 na hindi ka pa nakakain. Dali na Darna!"