Chapter 2

Rise and shine it's October 2nd yahoo!! Today is the day Nadine Lustre takes over the world!

I'm not a morning person. I prefer being nocturnal, honestly. However, today is a special day! Semester at Sea! Oh my! I am excited! I woke up early that morning, cooked breakfast for my mom (which I by the way, I never do since my cooking skills are limited to bacon and pancakes) and got ready. I packed up two nights before today. I have gone over the essentials and made sure I have everything.

"Good morning ma! Gumawa ako ng pancakes plus bacon with love!" I enthusiastically greet my mother as she walks down the stairs looking exhausted.

"O, bat baliktad ako kasi dapat gumagawa niyan diba? Kasi nga, malalayo ka for 2 months." She says, rubbing her eyes to try and wake up. "Pero, thank you baby. Mag ingat ka dun ha? Wag ka magpapawis! Asthsmahin ka na naman!"

"Oo na ma. Kaya nga may dalang nebulizer diba?" I laugh and my mom laughs with me.

"Pero seryoso anak. Proud na proud ako sayo. Akalain mo, Semester at Sea. Wow big time na talaga anak ko!" She messes my hair up.

I'll miss my mom. My mom and I weren't always this close. It wasn't until I realized that despite the obstacles and challenges, she still does her best to provide for me.

It was 7:45 when I rushed out of the door. Said goodbye to mom, it literally took her like 6 hours to give me all these reminders (note the hyperbole). Finally, Yassi's car arrived and Yassi was at the back of the car asleep. I wouldn't be surprised. Yassi has always been the person who prefers sleep over everything else. Yassi finally realized that she arrived at my house and quickly disembarked the car to mano mama. More reminders were given and we were off to the airport. Okay, so this is how it works. We're flying to Virgina first because that's where all the students from around the world get together. We actually arrive 3 days early. Mama said if we're going din lang naman to USA, why not explore? Mas mahal nga lang ang plane ticket, pero kaya naman daw ni mom. Babawi nalang ako through school awards.

"Nads, sinabi ba sayo ni Bret na he was confirmed for SAT, but he thought he didn't get in." I shook my head to Yassi's question. "Chineck niya yung mail niya yesterday and found out na he got in last minute kasi daw this one girl from Poland backed out kasi may emergency?"

"HAAAA ANO SABI MO?" It probably came out wrong because I could see the shock and judging look in her eyes. "Okay, I meant to say, I'm glad he's coming! Pero paki sabi naman oh, stop nagging me about dating. Naiinis na kasi ako eh."

---Virginia----

After what seemed like forever, we finally arrived in Virginia! It's so beautiful here! The beaches, the woods, eveything! It's a shock because geographically, Canada is just beside USA yet I have never been here. (Okay maybe that one time we went to the British Columbia/ Montana border. I got through the border through the woods and there was a sign that read: British Columbia territory, Montana territory, aka its those awkward division fences between USA and Canada.) Yassi and I checked into our hotel that day at around 12 midnight. We're exhausted from our flight so we decided to pospone our adventures til tomorrow.

Got up the next day and called my mom to ask how she was doing. Went down to the lobby where Yassi is for breakfast. (She woke up early to eat the free breakfast served downstairs, but did not wake me up.) I ate mine, went back up to the room and took a shower. As I was drying my hair, and Yassi was inside the bathroom taking a shower (+exclusive performances such as singing celion dion songs with voice cracks), Yassi's phone rang. Of course she used Roaming. Such rich children. James was calling, so I answered the phone to tell him Yassi is busy.

"YOU LITTLE SHIT YOU DIDN'T TELL ME YOU GOT INTO SEMESTER AT SEA!" Was the greeting I got from James. Oh boys. Why ya'll like this. "APPARENTLY YOUR FRIEND GOT IN TOO? U PIECE OF SHIT U DIDN'T TELL ME."

"Hi this is Nadine by the way. And yes I got in as well. Nag apply ka ba?" I asked, trying to cover the nervousness in my voice.

"Hey, Nadine! Sorry I didn't realize na ikaw pala ang nasa kabilang linya. Since close kami ni Yas, I address her in a slightly different manner." He said. "At oo. Actually ako nga ang 10th person na kanilang pinili out of the 200 eh."

"Okay lang yun, ano ba. Ganyan naman talaga pag magakakaibigan diba? And wow ang galing, congrats! I ranked 2nd and Yas ranked 106th." I can tell he was snobbing at me even though I can't physically see him and confirm such action. "Not trying to prove dominance over you or anything."

"Akala ko pa naman ang talitalino ko, napahiya lang ako dun ah." He laughed. "San kayo today? I was thinking Water Country, if you guys didn't plan already."

"Eh kasi, pupuntahan daw ni Yassi yung aunt niya sa Ohio. Last minute plans. Gusto ko nga sana pumunta eh kaso, wala akong plane ticket to Ohio. Tapos hindi ko rin afford." I felt kinda sad because who doesn't want to go to Water Country? Yassi why you gotta go to Ohio. "Pupunta nalang siguro ako sa malalapit na lugar, yung dadaanan ng bus para hindi masyado ma gastos. Ikaw nalang dun sa Water Country."

"Ang KJ nito! Tara sama ka sa amin ng Aussie friends ko. Treat na kita." He offers.

"Kasi James, hindi kasi-" he cuts me off and says, "Got your address, okay pick you up at 12!" and he hangs up.

Yassi just got out of the shower, wearing nothing but a robe and a towel on her head. She can see the clear bewilderment in my eyes, however, chooses to ignore it. She grabs the clothes she laid out on the bed and quickly goes back inside the bathroom. I finally get to my senses and stare out the window. Okay so wait, let me process this. Bret got into Semester At Sea. Yassi is ditching on me for Ohio. I have a little bit of money. James is bringing me to Water Country. A guy I just met yesterday. He is a potential rapist, molester, pervert, or a criminal of some sort. I don't know. And he's picking me up at 12. What.

"Hoy, bat tulala ka diyan may nakita kang momo?" Yassi was blow drying her hair.

"Oo, ikaw, parang the Ring ang peg." I joke. "Hindi joke lang. Pero Yas, anong topak ng kaibigan mong si James? Tumawag siya sa telepono mo, eh nasa CR ka, ako sumagot. Tapos ano na ang pinagsasabi nun, pick you up at 12 daw tapos pupunta kami sa Water Country. Addict ba yun?"

"Parang ganun na nga. Pagpasensyahan mo nalang. Sama ka nalang. Mabait naman si James eh. Hindi lang siguro sa akin pero mabait yun. Malay mo, dun mo makakikita si the one mo. Oh diba." Yassi says while curling her naturally long lashes.

"Naka cocaine ba kayo lahat?"