Chapter 34

A few days later
I slipped the black dress over my body. It had only been a day since Luna and I had gotten out of the hospital. Beau still wasn't awake yet and all of us are worried that he won't wake up, but the doctor said its normal. Today was Matthew's funeral. Luna was going to stay with Daniel's mom until all of this was over.
"Hey, are you ready to go?" Jai asked, as he walked in.
"Yeah." I said while grabbing my purse and heading out the door with Jai's hand in mine. No one said a word on the way there. As we pulled into the funeral home parking lot I noticed a familiar car.
"Isn't that..." Luke started to say.
"My parents car." I finished.
"Who do they think they are? This is so inappropriate." Gina said.
"Let's just go in, I'll handle it." I said. I got out of the car and intertwined my fingers into Jai's as we walked through the door. I looked around the room for my parents.
"There." Jai said as he pointed over to the right. They were sitting alone in the very back. I walked over to them.
"What are you doing here?" I asked.
My mother lifted her head up to look at me, her eyes puffy and her face red.
"This is our grandchild's funeral." My father spoke.
"Oh, so now they're your grandchildren." I said.
"They always were." My mother said.
"That's bull..." Jai started to say, but I cut him off.
"Just leave. I told you I didn't want to see you anymore and I meant it." I said.
"But we're your parents." My mother said.
"As far as I'm concerned Gina is the only parent I have."
"If you're sure you feel that way we'll leave." My father said.
"I'm positive."
"Then we'll be going." He said, as he stood up. My mother followed close behind him as they walked out the door.
"Come on its about to begin." Jai said.
I followed him up to the front row. Jai sat on the end as I sat down between him and Gina. The casket looked to only have been 2 feet long. It was dark brown with gold handles. Blue and white flowers surrounded it. The preacher began to speak which snapped me out of my thoughts.
"Thank you all for being here to remember a short life of Matthew Anthony Peter Brooks. There is nothing more heartbreaking then a death of a child. It's unfair that he was taken so early. It's unfortunate that we will never see the smile on this boy's face or let him put a smile on our faces. But before you ask yourselves "why" remember that God must've need a baby boy angel with him. He was planted on earth, so he could bloom in heaven. Although it may seem that he was put here just to die, it's so much more than that. Think of all the lives he has touched and all the family and friends he has brought together. He will forever and always be in our hearts." He finally finished. Everyone around me was crying even Jai. I looked over at him and whipped a tear from his face. He took my hand into his as we got up to say our final goodbyes to Matthew. I kissed the palm of my hand then placed it on the small casket with tears streaming down my face. We stepped to the side so that everyone else could say goodbye. 30 minutes passed and it was over. My baby boy was buried.