Cirque des freaks (Watty Awards 2011)

Cirque des freaks –Prologue

“Come in and watch in wonder or join tonight, the Cirque des freaks. Are you odd, unique . . . special?” I read over the black lettering and blinked a few times. Was this real, a Circus of freaks was coming to town?

“What are you reading Sera?” I looked up to see, Mea. I grinned lightly and patted the dirt spot next to me, she gave a smile in return and sat beside me, our backs leaned upon the oak tree in the circus grounds, our hang out –her eyes skimmed quickly over the flyer, in my hands and gasped aloud.

“Cirque des freaks,” She said in awe, “Do you think we should go see the show when they arrive?” Looking over at my friend I thought through the flyer, could I join? Would Mea join, with me? We we’re different, and trusted each other with our secrets. Would she stay with me?

“Mea, can I ask you something? It includes the Cirque.” I asked. She jerked her head in my direction and nodded eagerly, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

“Sure Sera, ask away.”

“You know how we’re,” I thought for the right words, “Different, unique. Do you think, we should join, the Cirque des freaks?”

Her face was thoughtful, her eyes closed in concentration, slowly she began to fade, before disappearing completely. My laugh filled the silence, causing the invisible Mea to gasp; I could see the ground rustle from where she sat.

“Awe phooey,” She groaned, “I’m still not used to it.”

“At least you don’t wings that sprout unexpectedly.” I replied, rolling my eyes as she reappeared.

“Only when you’re angry, do they come out.” She explained, dripping sarcasm.

“And you only disappear when you concentrate. . .” I retorted, she giggled and sighed content, “So do you think we should?”

“To Cirque des freaks,” She hollered, “Forever. . .”

“Forever is a long time.” I whispered and placed my hand on hers, before thrusting them into the air.

Cirque des freaks, you have more freaks on their way.

Please give your advice, it helps every writer. Also comment, vote, add and fan -it will mean a lot to me. The Cirque des freaks awaits.